Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Othorn vs XOC Th118 comparison for fun.
Othorn vs XOC Th118 comparison for fun.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd June 2016, 09:48 AM   #101
Sabbelbacke is offline Sabbelbacke  Germany
diyAudio Member

ah, ebay.com... ebay.de gives no results Thanx for the hint
Old 3rd June 2016, 02:30 PM   #102
Josh Ricci is offline Josh Ricci  United States
diyAudio Member

21Ipal works decently in the Othorn cab. Response is rougher and requires a bit of EQ shaping to smooth it out. Output headroom is of course even greater than with the 21sw152 or 21nlw9601. The issue is getting an amp to power them well. Thats not an issue if you wire a block of 4 in series. They are available at a number of outlets now including Amazon and USSpeaker. I'm selling a pair of mine myself.
Old 3rd June 2016, 03:02 PM   #103
epa is offline epa  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blossom View Post
anybody can buy ipal on ebay
not the amps
like above you need the ipal amp ,or wire them in series
Old 3rd June 2016, 04:20 PM   #104
Sabbelbacke is offline Sabbelbacke  Germany
diyAudio Member

If anyone is selling one of the 18" or 21" B&C IPALs in Europe, I am interested (Amp with 1 Ohm capability is available..)
Old 8th February 2018, 01:40 AM   #105
treukauf is offline treukauf
diyAudio Member

Has anyone had a Keystone and an Othorn at the same time. Diggin this thread out of the garbage. I have thr keystone and have been throwing around the idea of building an othorn to get the needed extension for some low edm tracks.
Old 8th February 2018, 02:45 AM   #106
Scientific is offline Scientific  Dominica
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treukauf View Post
Has anyone had a Keystone and an Othorn at the same time. Diggin this thread out of the garbage. I have thr keystone and have been throwing around the idea of building an othorn to get the needed extension for some low edm tracks.
We built all three, the TH18, the Othorn and the Keystone. We were not impressed with the Othorn. Some low notes but output was lacking SPL. The Keystone bass lacked extension but was high output and I would say the most uncoloured bass you could get. Absolutley smooth, a pleasure to listen to. What impressed us for the low end extension was the Scientific Cab designed by TB46. Try this, you won't be disappointed. You will hear thick low end in the 20's that you did not realize was in some tracks with enough SPL to rattle everything in your neighbours house. Check the post 491 in $325 Lab 12 based PA tapped horn. ~35hz extension.
Old 8th February 2018, 02:08 PM   #107
Josh Ricci is offline Josh Ricci  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientific View Post
We built all three, the TH18, the Othorn and the Keystone. We were not impressed with the Othorn. Some low notes but output was lacking SPL. The Keystone bass lacked extension but was high output and I would say the most uncoloured bass you could get. Absolutley smooth, a pleasure to listen to. What impressed us for the low end extension was the Scientific Cab designed by TB46. Try this, you won't be disappointed. You will hear thick low end in the 20's that you did not realize was in some tracks with enough SPL to rattle everything in your neighbours house. Check the post 491 in $325 Lab 12 based PA tapped horn. ~35hz extension.
What model of driver did you use in the Othorn?
Do you have a link to a build thread for the cabinet?
I've never heard anyone say it lacked output.
Old 8th February 2018, 02:21 PM   #108
Brian Steele is offline Brian Steele  Grenada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientific View Post
What impressed us for the low end extension was the Scientific Cab designed by TB46. Try this, you won't be disappointed. You will hear thick low end in the 20's that you did not realize was in some tracks with enough SPL to rattle everything in your neighbours house. Check the post 491 in $325 Lab 12 based PA tapped horn. ~35hz extension.
If this is the post in question, it looks like a nice design, but the sim suggests that it's 25dB down by 20 Hz (and it will be a bit more IRL due to losses). Looks like you'd need to brace it well too.

$325 Lab 12 based PA tapped horn. ~35hz extension
Old 8th February 2018, 02:33 PM   #109
Zwiller is offline Zwiller  United States
diyAudio Member

AFAIK no one built one yet but I am totally trying the TH50 someday. $300 TH-50 Knockoff

OTHORN build is a little intimidating to me and I am pretty accomplished and have a decent shop. IIRC most guys used cad plans and paid to have them built.
Old 8th February 2018, 03:09 PM   #110
treukauf is offline treukauf
diyAudio Member

Scientific,

I looked at post #491 to #451. There are quite a few revisions to the design. I posted on that thread regarding drawings and results. Any chance you can hop over to that thread and point me to the exact drawings you used. On paper the Othorn seems to go a fair amount lower and as loud as the keystone. But I do realize the real world sound characteristics of a subwoofer can be very different.

Ricci, I'm a huge fan of your work and have seen many good reviews of the Othorn, so i'm tempted to build both. I just need to rob a truck of B&C 18 SW115's first haha. I do not enjoy woodworking that much and have little free time, so maximum bang per hours of woodworking is a big seller for me. Watts not wood haha.

The aggressive attack/impact sound of the keystone and tham subwoofers is what I love compared to the BFM Tubas all my friends rave about. I think while they are efficient they are boomy and can drone. Kick drums on Tubas are more like a boom than an impact. I"m curious how the othorn sounds. I do listen to a lot of rolling dubstep songs that might favor the Othorn.

Thanks,

Othorn vs XOC Th118 comparison for fun.Hide this!Advertise here!