Help with powered sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I few years ago I built a powered sub using an Adire Tempest 15 in a sealed enclosure using a 250 watt plate amp. The sub has never sounded good, and now my amp doesn't work properly (it doesn't want to come on now for some reason) and I was wondering if the poor sounding sub was due to this amp not having enough power. I've heard the Tempest can be a beast of a sub, so I'm wondering if a 1000 watt amp would be enough to get good performance.

I found some specs on your 15 sub...The EBP is running at 47, a useful split between going ported or going sealed. If you wound up running this one as a sealed Two cubic foot version, the performance is really being choked off. The 2.0 sealed is running at an F3 of 37 hertz...kinda poor performance really. You gotta figure an f3 of 37 means it is starting to roll-off at 45 hertz or so...
The ultimate performance is going with a big-*** ported enclosure of Ten cubic feet, an Fb of 18 hertz, Two ports of 4" by 13.5". This set-up will go REALLY low!!
In this instance bigger is better...or more accurately 'lower' frequency in performance.

____________________________________________________Rick.........

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.