Behringer 15p200a3 cone removal - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2015, 10:36 AM   #1
djduck is offline djduck  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Default Behringer 15p200a3 cone removal

Hello!
I picked up a free Behringer 15p200a3 woofer for only 4.10 shipping. It had just stopped working at random, without any overload or anything. Measuring from terminals shows no continuity and no resistance. No scratching or burnt smell from voice coil. Guy who gave it to me thought that voice coil connection wires might have come off inside the coil.
What I want to do is take it apart and see if I can repair the coil. But Behringer has used some super heavy duty black glue to hold the cloth surround to the basket and I can't seem to get it off. I tried dissolving it with acetone but it only softens up slightly and I feel as tho I will rip the surround while pulling it off.
Any other good solvents for this type of glue?
If I can get it to work, I want to try building my first ever folded horn with it
Old 15th February 2015, 02:22 PM   #2
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

do you think you can get to the area where something has disconnected by removing the dust cap? - I've no idea what's needed to loosen the cement used in that area. Do the tinsel leads attach to a visible place on the cone or are they woven in the spider?
Old 15th February 2015, 02:29 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

The dust cap had already been removed, no access.
But that doesn't matter anymore. I got the cone off but the spider was stuck even worse, so I thought f**k it and cut it off with an exacto knife. Well, as it rurns out I didn't make a wrong move, as the voice coil has a nice burnt spot on it and it's obvious that it had gotten hot all around. I kept the cone and surround, dumped the coil and spider. Now I'm on the lookout for a new set of those, or even a complete re-cone kit.
Old 15th February 2015, 02:50 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

There are no recone kits for these Behringer speakers unfortunately, so short of making some generic parts work you now have a nice paperweight.
Old 15th February 2015, 02:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Dang. Thought so. But there are some woofers that are similiar, such as the Eminence Delta 15A, that might work. If not, then I have a nice lampshade from the basket

Hide this!Advertise here!