sub cabinet for eminance 15" sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of 15" 8 ohm eminance subs that were manufactured for a oem customer by Eminance, Im have the following info on the speakers:

05-RE OHMS 6.94 13-FS HZ 44.57
06-LE MH 1.13 14-MMS GMS 49.34
07-QM 5.32 15-CMS mm/N .2584
08-QE .800 16-RMS NS/M 2.5976
09-QT .690 17-VAS LTRS 266.16
10-XMAX MM 2.80 18-SD SCM 856.34
11-BL TM 10.97 19-EBP 56.0
12-EFF % 2.85 20-SPL dB 96.6

can anyone calculate the proper cabinet size for these subs?? Thanks

Just thought I'd put this out there, what kind of design are you looking for? this strongly impacts the size of the ideal box. Thanks Assuming Bass Reflex (ported) I'm not sure if I would try and use these below 50 Hz as 2.8 mm of XMAX isn't much.

Ballpark I'd say 4-5 cu. ft. sealed or 9ish ported to get something remotely flat, my intuition and preliminary analysis tells me it may be futile to build a sub out of those drivers so you may have better luck using it as a low driver in a PA speaker.

What I learned from a short sim: 50 watts at 50 Hz will exceed it's excursion, don't bother making a sub out of it unless you only want to use it for very low output applications.

sounds like a "Beta" or similar weight (~38-42oz) ferrite magnet motor , lowish moving mass - do they have a 2.5" diameter coil? (Beta15cx had a 2" coil and qts around 0.53) it would be a waste of wood and packing space imo to make a real big box. Some old PA stuff which was vented probably had 3 or more dB peaking due to small motors.

lol so good of everyone to reply, but rather than hear all about their down sides I just want to know the best cabinet recommendation ! for the best performance possible, some one said 4-5 ft3 i know if i go to big I can loose power handling capability

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
...I just want to know the best cabinet recommendation ! for the best performance possible...

GM has given you a couple of options, but the fact is, these are not suitable for sub use. With lots of work, you could fit a towbar to a motorbike, but it wouldn't work that well for pulling your caravan.

Stick them on ebay, and put the money towards a decent home sub driver. You will be much happier. ;)

I just want to know the best cabinet recommendation ! for the best performance possible

Then you should have specified it in your original posting and been more specific than as a 'sub' in your PA setup.

Regardless, 'best' overall for this driver's specs at 150 W/2.8 mm Xmax rating is my ~187.4 L tuned to Fs and digitally EQ it to 'taste' to tonally balance it/reduce its ~80 Hz 'one note' mid-bass peak and use a high pass to protect it below 40 Hz.

If this is unacceptable, then I suggest you follow pinkmouse's advice.

GM

It's one of those woofers with too high Qes (wimpy motor compared to size) to use in a high tuned bass reflex and too low Xmax to get much out of in a low tuned bass reflex.

Even as a mid-woofer (its intended function by the looks of it) in a ported mid-high cabinet it's not ideal in the lows department, though it will make sound further up the scale. Failing that an open baffle mid woofer....

Hi All,

FYI:

b:)

Attachments

• Eminance.JPG
    Eminance.JPG
    790.5 KB · Views: 52
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.