'Bass Pod' - a very compact budget bass bin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Currently residing purely in the land of theory, I'll be building one of these in the next couple of weeks to see if it performs anything like the sims - assuming I simmed it properly! Seems like it could well be a very cheap and reasonable solution for bass (no sub) reproduction at high output and half decent quality.

Always compare the output of a new design to a simple vented box of the same total volume using the same driver. That will indicate whether or not the design is worth exploring further.
Hi Brian - thanks. I did that, and in a single box format on the ground plane 2pi, there is only about 2dB between this design and a reflex box of the same size, but when stacked together as multiples or wall/corner loaded it starts to act as a larger horn and efficiency increases dramatically versus reflex stacking (at least according to Hornresp). If corner loaded that makes it about 8dB more efficient than a reflex (also in a corner) which is considerable.

I've not actually modelled the driver in a 7 litre reflex but it's only 88dB/watt sensitive so it won't do much above that.

I was never quite sure if tapped pipes coupled with the same efficiency gains as a FLH but hornresp in tapped horn mode suggests they do.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.