Infinity HPS-1000 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2015, 08:10 PM   #1
zcables is offline zcables  United States
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb Infinity HPS-1000

I have an Infinity HPS-1000 subwoofer which I really enjoy in my home theater, but the down-firing, active, 15" woofer just went out. This subwoofer is a beast with a pair of 15" passive radiators and a claimed 1000w plate amp in a 8 cu/ft enclosure. I'd prefer to keep this subwoofer around since it's worked great until now, and would prefer to find a replacement or upgrade for the active woofer. I contacted Infinity, but haven't heard anything back, but have also read somewhere that the original woofer was a JBL design; it's all Harman in the family!

Without too much info available online about this beast, does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on a replacement 15" driver?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 1st February 2015, 10:15 PM   #2
dsvermi is offline dsvermi  United States
diyAudio Member

I replaced mine with a Dayton Audio UM15-22 15" Ultimax DVC Subwoofer and it sounds great. I only replaced mine because my amp went out, so I decided to replace the driver to match the Dayton Audio amp that I'm using. I still have the original Infinity driver and I would be willing to sell it to you. If you have any interest in it, just shoot me an email at dsvermi@gmail.com.
Old 21st March 2015, 04:46 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

How did the Ultimax fit into the cabinet as I imagine it's basket and magnet are much larger than the original? I also found a used James Loudspeaker subwoofer driver used in their isobaric designs that might work in this application.
Old 21st March 2015, 05:03 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I just ended up making a new bottom board for it and cut it to fit the Dayton driver. The factory driver was bottom mounted using 4 clamps. I went to home depot and bought two 3/4 inch pieces of MDF and glued them together to give me the 1 1/2 thick board, then used the original piece as a template. I couldn't find any 1 1/2 inch thick MDF anywhere, so I made my own. It was quite easy. I still have the factory driver if you'd like to buy it. My issue was the amp.
Old 22nd March 2015, 07:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I think it might be interesting to try a new driver like you did. Did you consider the Eminence Lab 15?
Old 23rd March 2015, 04:47 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

No, I am using 8 dayton subs and I really like the price and quality of them. I am running 4 subs off one external amp and in order to get a 4 ohm load, I needed four 4 ohms subs. A 6 ohm sub would not work. That and it cost more. For you, it may work just fine. I would check to make sure that the infinity amp is 6 ohm stable. The factory drivers are 8 ohms.
Old 27th March 2015, 03:27 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I decided to try this custom driver from James Louddpeaker because ot was used in a similarly sized cabinet, with a passive radiator, with similar frequency responce. I know that does not ensure success, but it seemed like a good guess on a custom driver for a good price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (128.4 KB, 110 views)

Last edited by zcables; 27th March 2015 at 03:31 PM.
Old 4th April 2015, 09:16 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I was also able to pick up the matching plate amp to that James Loudspeaker driver, which is rated at 1500wrms. I know the amp has some tuning built in around 35hz to minimize a peak at the woofers resonent frequency, but I also believed it has some additional gain down to around 18hz to keep the response flat. Since my HPS1000 amp has developed a hum (grounding cold solder joint issue I think), I'll try putting this amp in with the new woofer and see what I get. Once again, I'm not sure it'll sound better than stock, but it may work based on the design of the two subwoofers, and it'll be a fun experiment either way.
Old 8th April 2015, 11:12 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Received the woofer in the mail today and the seller through in an additional basket. Seems to be really well made, and I'd be interested to know who made these drivers for James Loudspeaker. Very stiff carbon fiber cone and dustcap, tall foam surround, cast basket, stiff spider, and very large magnet. Driver has dual, four ohm voice coils, so wiring it as one eight ohm or two fours provides two amp friendly options. Ran the driver through some frequency tests unboxed last night and it seems to react well, so appears both mechanically and electrically sound. I'll start pulling apart my HPS1000 and see what modifications I'll need to fit this woofer in the cabinet.
Old 12th April 2015, 04:06 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Pulled apart the HPS1000 today to install the new woofer. Once I removed the feet, and pulled all the screws out of the bottom, the 1" MDF baffle was able to be pulled out. The stock JBL woofer was mounted with four screw-down clips, and the stock grill (cracked from age) was sandwiched between the baffle and the woofer basket. The stock woofer is a cast basket, and appears to be a custom build of a pro style driver; it was much heavier than I expected with a substantial magnet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (729.6 KB, 67 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!