RCF L18S800 cloth surround not doped after repair?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
don't have any... I was speculating.

I thought that the people who own the speakers were paying for the job? I think that spending 10-20Euro to buy and ship a bottle of the correct stuff is not much in light of the total job??

If you find a potential supplier here in the US or elsewhere, feel free to post the link to the product, so that we can see it and make sure it is ok.

How many drivers to you need to coat??

_-_-

PS. I can take a quick look online to see if anyone in the US is selling something suitable...

Still a bit unclear on how or why the person who sold you or installed the cones/VCs, does not have the stuff??

I did not find a retail source in the USA.

Can't blame the recone shops, they hardly want everyone being able to take their business away.

Suggest you look around for a Pro Sound company within driving distance and see if they do their own recones, you might be able to "schmooze" your way in the backdoor and get the cones doped...

_-_-

that is a flexible glue.
If it seals against air leaks, then that is one job done.
If it is flexible enough then it lets the cone move with little change to the T/S parameters.
You can check the before and after resonant frequency.
You can add on more layers to slightly adjust the F

This may do the job, but what I don't know is how "lossy" the flexible glue is. It could have great performance as a flexible sealer, but it may not have much damping, or too much damping. I can't predict what you need in the way of surround damping and I certainly can't predict what this glue will do.

Well, the stuff that Altec/GPA, JBL, etc. [at least vintage models], to seal cloth surrounds uses a chemical that won't glue anything together except maybe a 'super-tweeter cone thickness' paper due to its stickiness, so am leery to use anything listed as suitable for gluing components together.

Then again, I've no 'hands on' experience with any water soluable variants beyond the one I linked to and today's much lower Vas drivers may need a flexible glue to make them stiff enough.

Anyway, looking forward to what you wind up using and how it performs.

GM

I did not see them calling it a "glue" on the page I clicked on from Simply Speakers.

Look, why don't you PM me?

This is getting silly, fwiw.

All the "water based" coatings I have seen or use are worthless as "glue", they don't have enough initial adhesive grab and are all self-leveling compounds. None of these coatings will effect the LF, not the T/S nor the Fs enough to be concerned about. The effects on freq response will mainly be in higher harmonics for two main reasons, one is the reduction of transverse waves being reflected across the cone, and secondly the surround itself will literally flap far less.

I've no doubt as I've used PVA wood glue, but can they be used to seal cloth surrounds without making them too stiff?

That's the question here.

For sure, the wood glues I have tried didn't remain flexible enough even when thinned to uselessness as glue.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.