Powersoft M-Force Specs Now Available

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
darnit why does the edit button go away so quickly. for all I care the last 2 posts can be deleted

it looks like for the mforce 1, 40", reverse cone (3rd column) I've simmed a 1600 liter tapped horn (too much motor for front loaded horns...). it extends down to 29hz, and has 101 db sensitivity at the low corner (rising above to 103db at 70db, where tapped horns **** starts to happen).

It handles 65 volts... 15kw at impedance minima and stays within xmax of 15mm. 2 of them should slay 12 labhorns.... I only have paint on this computer. will post graphs tmrw

HI,

don´t mix Powersofts IPAL with M-Force.
The IPAL is a system of a current mode Amplifier, differential pressure motional feedback control system and a (truely) specialized high efficiency dynamic bass driver.
Current mode and high efficiency require the unusual low Rdc and Qt of the driver.
M-Force is different in that it concentrates around a specialized drive system of the bass driver.
Instead of fixed magnets and moving coils as typical, M-Force does the plain opposite.
The coils are fixed and the diaphragm is connected to a moving magnet structure.
Taking the integration idea further, a amp is included into the coil/magnet cabinet and the IPAL idea of motional feedback may also be applied.

jauu
Calvin

To be fair, you can get much much better heatsinking with a fixed coil rather than moving. I suspect moving magnet designs are the future for low-frequency reproduction - its only the top-end stuff at the moment, but hopefully it'll trickle down in a few years.

How exciting!

Chris

Hi,

One of many possibilities:

b:)

Attachments

• M-Force-01_40inch_.JPG
    M-Force-01_40inch_.JPG
    918.2 KB · Views: 518
question is if it is possible to get to the same size / output / cost / weight with a design using several 18s? Yes or no at current prices? Yes or no at future prices?

I'm curious about this too actually. I believe the answer is no. The only driver that could possibly come close would be Ipal designated woofers. Otherwise it'll take a bigger stack of conventional subs of any kind to match the output.

From what I can derive from the spec sheet, it appears to be on a par with the specs for some industrial/professional subwoofers, but with a far greater amount of complexity and potential for electrical failures (Class D amplifiers have a service life of about 7 years). I was expecting greater Xmax numbers. These numbers have already been achieved with products from TC Sounds, Bassmaxx and Acoupower. I myself have experienced the "one sub outperforming a wall of 18" subs" paradigm shift in 2006. A 4" stroke, 3" of which is linear, is nothing new today.

I would have a healthy amount of skepticism about the integrity of a 40" cone being driven by a single point push rod. I would love to see some actual half space measurements of THD, SPL and sensitivity. Also, one would expect such an immense driver to have an F3 in the single digits. I wonder about that.

I tend to agree with Mark. The motors have startling efficiency which is always good but do not seem to provide any more displacement than current approaches and in fact quite a bit less in some circumstances. Obviously the intended use is the typical pro audio scenario with extremely high output over the 35-100Hz bandwidth which these will be capable of extreme loudness but do not seem to offer the displacement to further advance the same levels of output deeper in the bottom octaves. That's a disappointment to me as that is where most current systems fall on their face rather than from lack of output in the top 2 bass octaves. The amount of flex that may occur in a 30 or 40" cone with very high loading and acceleration rates is something I wonder about as well.

There very well may be advantages in thermal compression, distortion, etc...Especially when coupled with the DPC system. Hopefully there will be hard data on that front at some point.

Anyone noticed the inductance on these motors? 0.26 DCR with 4.3mh at 1Khz. Wowzers. Now 1kHz LE is kind of useless for bass drivers but they do give complex paramaters and it does give some inclination as to the behavior.

The suspensions on these are ROCK hard. The stiffest I've ever seen. Perhaps to help with centering the coil rest position. These have no spiders either so that stiffness is all surround.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.