Gain/Volume Control for Passive Sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was previously using a NHT X2 which would do high pass, low pass, volume and phase and a ATI 1502 to power my James LP4000 passive sub. I'm currently using an Oppo 105 as both my source and preamp.

However, I've recently picked up a SVS AS-EQ1 and wanted that to replace the NHT to do phase corrections and EQ. I also have another sub in the chain which I intend to use with the SVS EQ, an Outlaw LFM-1 Plus which does have a gain control on it. To my knowledge, the SVS does not level match the subwoofers for you and you'll have to do this myself. However, I wish to take the NHT out of the chain because it's really useless now except for its volume control and it just adds an extra layer of complication.

My first inclination was to try to run the SVS EQ -> Amp -> James Sub and try to volume control it with the Oppo. However, the Oppo's output signal was inadequate in bringing the James sub to level match the James subs to the mains.

Is there a simple gain control out there to place before the amp that wouldn't be lossy?

"...Is there a simple gain control out there to place before the amp that wouldn't be lossy?"

Hi aboroth00,

I'm certainly not trying to change your specific objective in your quest, but I found myself in a similar situation a couple of years ago when I just needed a processor for my car's specialized subwoofer system. The audio system was stock; just needed some 'REAL BASS' if you know what I mean, and there was no room (or intention) for me to cut-out holes in my dash for an equalizer, cross-over, or anything else that people were recommending that I use. That's when I was introduced to the "miniDSP".

They can be used for a bunch of applications, but mine just happened to be 'Subwoofer specific', and needed to be 12V adaptable, and it was! I like it for a lot of reasons, but one is that the software controls are in my laptop (Not internet based). I control my subs 'in real time', while I'm listening so I can 'correct' as needed. The one I have has 2 analog in's and 4 analog out's so I take a signal off of my head unit from the front speakers (don't have any RCA outs). Then it goes through the processor/filter and that signal is fed to the sub amps.

When I need to EQ I plug my laptop into the USB port, click the sync button, make my adjustments to the low freq audio signal e.g., PEQ (more than 12 band capable, and I choose just what freq (in hz) each parametric band will be), X-over (you choose slope, 6, 12, 24, 48, LR, BW...). You can also create stereo High & Low pass filters if you need them. I snapped a couple of screen shots of mine just now; it's not really in operation or connected to my truck's system, just wanted you to see a few of the controls.

The best part was the price. I paid about $127 for the "miniDSP-in-a-box" (Hardware, S&H free) and then paid $10 dollars for the firmware (one time payment 'Download'). Updates are free! This first shot (below) are your gains!

Below is a look at the 6 band parametric eq w/ freq centered at: 28, 34, 41, 50, 64 and 80... each band is fully configurable e.g., center freq, Q (bandwidth, .5 octv to several octv), peak, shelf, amount of gain in db... PS: There are also 6 bands PEQ on all four channels at the exit of this processor .

And below, your X-overs as described above; you'll have quite a bit of power over your sound here as all parameters are under your control.

And all that... in this (HxWxD) 75mm x 75mm x 30mm obscured lil' box!

Here's a link to the "miniDSP" website, hope this can help!

MiniDSP 2x4 | MiniDSP

...and the miniDSP operating manual pdf in my post!

http://www.minidsp.com/images/documents/Product Brief-MiniDSP 2x4 Box.pdf

PS: I really liked the "SVS" sub that @tb46 posted; quite impressed!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice guys. I am familiar with the minidsp and I have the UMIK-1 myself to use with REW. I was attracted to the SVS not because of its PEQ, but it's ability to smooth response across multiple LP's and tame ringing with its unique algorithms. I sort of prematurely bought it before actually measuring my setup in my new space. The crossover is being handled by my Oppo 105 which serves as my source and pre/pro.

I ended up deciding that the SVS wasn't worth the trouble especially after some positioning, I ended up with a relatively flat response. There's the hump at ~50-60hz which could use some taming, but I decided for now that it wasn't worth the trouble to add more processing to the signal chain.

My setup is currently located in the living room and it's an open floor plan so it's pretty hard to pressurize the entire space. I'm working with upwards of 600sq ft with an outlet to an upstairs hallway. I might try plugging the port of the Outlaw to get more useful extension lower. Additional thoughts or suggestions?

Attachments

• fr.jpg
    fr.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 23
  • waterfall.jpg
    waterfall.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 28
Thanks for all the advice guys. I am familiar with the minidsp and I have the UMIK-1 myself to use with REW. I was attracted to the SVS not because of its PEQ, but it's ability to smooth response across multiple LP's and tame ringing with its unique algorithms. I sort of prematurely bought it before actually measuring my setup in my new space. The crossover is being handled by my Oppo 105 which serves as my source and pre/pro.

I ended up deciding that the SVS wasn't worth the trouble especially after some positioning, I ended up with a relatively flat response. There's the hump at ~50-60hz which could use some taming, but I decided for now that it wasn't worth the trouble to add more processing to the signal chain.

My setup is currently located in the living room and it's an open floor plan so it's pretty hard to pressurize the entire space. I'm working with upwards of 600sq ft with an outlet to an upstairs hallway. I might try plugging the port of the Outlaw to get more useful extension lower. Additional thoughts or suggestions?

Attachments

• fr.jpg
    fr.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 21
  • waterfall.jpg
    waterfall.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 24
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.