Phoenix Gold Octane-R R12 in HT sub?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone had any experience building a sub with the Phoenix Gold Octane-R R12 or R12d subwoofer?

The R12d is the dual voicecoil version.

I am thinking about building a HT sub and was suprised to see that this sub models out very similarly to a Adire Shiva sub.

Of course the voice coil size, max power handling etc are higher on the Shiva. But the R12D's higher efficiency is interesting as I may drive it for a while from a vintage 80w/channel stereo amplifier.

moving_electrons
"Better living from controlled electron movement"

Car drivers in general function poorly for home theatre subs. However, if you put a home theater subwoofer in its specified home theater box (not the smaller "car" box) in the back of a car, the results can be amazing with just a little power. I will refer you to a subwoofer thread where I help another person who wants to use a car sub, and I give him the design for a suitable home theater subwoofer using an actual home subwoofer driver. Not quite so much pretty plastic, but the home driver that is used has much more robust construction, including masive glue joints on the big rubber suround, a cast-frame basket, double-stacked rear magnets, and a cone that features Kevlar fibers in the pulp mix for stiffening. 350 watts should get it hopping, so that's the amplifier we are using. However, the 350 watt amplifier we use is on back-order for a while so you might have to wait to finish your project. It's no big deal though. I have had a subwoofer project sitting on hold for about a month and a half now because I have not yet recieved a driver that was to be shipped to me at the end of a particular contest that I won. The waiting isn't all that hard. I'm just worried about whether I'll recieve my driver. then I have to order a pair of 15" passive radiators from the same guy, and judging from my current experience, the turnaround time on those PRs (which must be hand-assembled) could make it so that I'm stuck with my current subwoofer until May! :whazzat: :xeye:

Anyway, enough ranting. Here's the thread. The stuff from Parts Express is all available now, but you will probably have to wait on the amp.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=24464&perpage=15&highlight=&pagenumber=2

I agree that most car audio sub drivers are not good fits for home, do to their box size targets, and target frequencies etc.

What intriged me about this sub woofer driver was how similarly it modeled out to the Shiva Sub. For moderate sound levels it may be a good way to play with some designs that could later be upgraded to a Shiva and larger Amp. The Phoenix driver sells some places for as low as $60-$70.

I have been thinking about trying the Shiva recommended 88.5 l sealed box and a vented and seeing how well I liked each for music and HT.

Thanks for the link to the sub design you are using. It looks very interesting and capable!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.