Building TH-18 Cabs - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th November 2014, 04:53 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Building TH-18 Cabs

Hello everyone, I have been seen a few cab design and have liked to build a pair of TH18 and a pair of Tham15. My question is, on the TH18 can building, how do you attach the braces on the panels when you are on a tight spot, it is just "GLUE" or you must also use "screws"? Thanks in advance

Ralph
Old 29th November 2014, 11:18 AM   #2
Osse is offline Osse  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Hi and welcome to the forum, I guess it depens what kind of method you use when you build... if you build from inside out, and use the brace as a wedge between two already installed panels, glue could be enought. But screws or nails will secure it 100% so I would recommend that.

I also want to tell you that using the TH18 and the THAM15's together might not work optimally, if you want serious thundering bass from a rig you should stick to the same design, otherwise, happy building
Old 29th November 2014, 06:12 PM   #3
sine143 is offline sine143  United States
diyAudio Member

Screws, Brad nailes, clamps, etc, all will work nicely. When building a new design (new to me at least), I like to complete dry assemble the first cab with screws, dissasemble, glue and screw the braces to one of the panels they touch based on my desired build order,then glue and screw the whole cab together (minus side 2. Let glue dry overnight, remove as many screws as possible (won't be able to get to a lot of them) Then attach side 2.
Old 30th November 2014, 04:46 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sine143 View Post
Screws, Brad nailes, clamps, etc, all will work nicely. When building a new design (new to me at least), I like to complete dry assemble the first cab with screws, dissasemble, glue and screw the braces to one of the panels they touch based on my desired build order,then glue and screw the whole cab together (minus side 2. Let glue dry overnight, remove as many screws as possible (won't be able to get to a lot of them) Then attach side 2.
Why do I need to remove the screws, I thought that glue + screw hold cabs together better? Thanks
Old 30th November 2014, 05:22 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

you are welcome to leave the screws in. But for a clean finish, its best to remove the fasteners, and then fill the holes with bondo, or your preferred wood filler,

this way you can use a 3/8 roundover bit on the corners wth a router (without hitting screws and slinging metal into your face), and sand appropriatly (without messing up your sandpaper).

first pic is technically a functional cabinet (with all the screws still in place) . Pic 2 is after I removed all the screws, filled the holes, and did 5 hours of finish work.

Use PL premium adhesive and from a strength standpoint, screws in vs screws out means nothing

If you have never built a horn subwoofer before, I recommend you buy Bill Fitz maurice Auto Tuba, Or T18 plans, as that cab can be built for under 150 dollars, and it will teach you the basics of horn subwoofer construction (knowledge of which you can apply to a tham or a th18 build afterwards).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (20).JPG (622.0 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg 10176180_10154098576745591_2506443882346488240_n.jpg (82.9 KB, 172 views)

Last edited by sine143; 30th November 2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old 30th November 2014, 05:29 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I have always built just using screws and no glue. One screw every 6"
I use 18mm ply with 2" by 2" bracing.
I countersink the screw holes so they are slightly buried.
I then cover the cabinet in thin carpet to hide all the screws etc.
Old 30th November 2014, 05:55 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
you are welcome to leave the screws in. But for a clean finish, its best to remove the fasteners, and then fill the holes with bondo, or your preferred wood filler,

this way you can use a 3/8 roundover bit on the corners wth a router (without hitting screws and slinging metal into your face), and sand appropriatly (without messing up your sandpaper).

first pic is technically a functional cabinet (with all the screws still in place) . Pic 2 is after I removed all the screws, filled the holes, and did 5 hours of finish work.

Use PL premium adhesive and from a strength standpoint, screws in vs screws out means nothing

If you have never built a horn subwoofer before, I recommend you buy Bill Fitz maurice Auto Tuba, Or T18 plans, as that cab can be built for under 150 dollars, and it will teach you the basics of horn subwoofer construction (knowledge of which you can apply to a tham or a th18 build afterwards).
Thanks for the insight, did you mentioned the Auto Tuba or the T18 because it's economical to built or because it teaches more than the rest of the cabs that Bill Fitz offers? I have the plans for the Tuba 30, can I build that one instead for the experience? Thanks
Old 30th November 2014, 07:08 PM   #8
Osse is offline Osse  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh101 View Post
Thanks for the insight, did you mentioned the Auto Tuba or the T18 because it's economical to built or because it teaches more than the rest of the cabs that Bill Fitz offers? I have the plans for the Tuba 30, can I build that one instead for the experience? Thanks
The T30 are just as fine as the T18 and AT(The plans are very informative so this is a good advice from Sine), I have four T30's and one AT, it's a joyful experience and you will learn a LOT from the mistakes and such from the first cab, making your second cab twice as fast to assemble and of better construction.

Good luck with the builds
Old 30th November 2014, 07:16 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I recomended the auto tuba or the t18 because its the cheapest build (for learning purposes), and has little overlap in application to the other 2 cabs you want to build.
Old 30th November 2014, 07:22 PM   #10
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Use PL premium adhesive and from a strength standpoint
Great glue but unnecessary in this application. Even on butt joints, yellow glue is more than adequate.

Hide this!Advertise here!