Building TH-18 Cabs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone, I have been seen a few cab design and have liked to build a pair of TH18 and a pair of Tham15. My question is, on the TH18 can building, how do you attach the braces on the panels when you are on a tight spot, it is just "GLUE" or you must also use "screws"? Thanks in advance

Ralph

Hi and welcome to the forum, I guess it depens what kind of method you use when you build... if you build from inside out, and use the brace as a wedge between two already installed panels, glue could be enought. But screws or nails will secure it 100% so I would recommend that.

I also want to tell you that using the TH18 and the THAM15's together might not work optimally, if you want serious thundering bass from a rig you should stick to the same design, otherwise, happy building :)

Screws, Brad nailes, clamps, etc, all will work nicely. When building a new design (new to me at least), I like to complete dry assemble the first cab with screws, dissasemble, glue and screw the braces to one of the panels they touch based on my desired build order,then glue and screw the whole cab together (minus side 2. Let glue dry overnight, remove as many screws as possible (won't be able to get to a lot of them) Then attach side 2.

Screws, Brad nailes, clamps, etc, all will work nicely. When building a new design (new to me at least), I like to complete dry assemble the first cab with screws, dissasemble, glue and screw the braces to one of the panels they touch based on my desired build order,then glue and screw the whole cab together (minus side 2. Let glue dry overnight, remove as many screws as possible (won't be able to get to a lot of them) Then attach side 2.

Why do I need to remove the screws, I thought that glue + screw hold cabs together better? Thanks

you are welcome to leave the screws in. But for a clean finish, its best to remove the fasteners, and then fill the holes with bondo, or your preferred wood filler,

this way you can use a 3/8 roundover bit on the corners wth a router (without hitting screws and slinging metal into your face), and sand appropriatly (without messing up your sandpaper).

first pic is technically a functional cabinet (with all the screws still in place) . Pic 2 is after I removed all the screws, filled the holes, and did 5 hours of finish work.

Use PL premium adhesive and from a strength standpoint, screws in vs screws out means nothing

If you have never built a horn subwoofer before, I recommend you buy Bill Fitz maurice Auto Tuba, Or T18 plans, as that cab can be built for under 150 dollars, and it will teach you the basics of horn subwoofer construction (knowledge of which you can apply to a tham or a th18 build afterwards).

Attachments

• photo (20).JPG
    photo (20).JPG
    622 KB · Views: 262
  • 10176180_10154098576745591_2506443882346488240_n.jpg
    10176180_10154098576745591_2506443882346488240_n.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
you are welcome to leave the screws in. But for a clean finish, its best to remove the fasteners, and then fill the holes with bondo, or your preferred wood filler,

this way you can use a 3/8 roundover bit on the corners wth a router (without hitting screws and slinging metal into your face), and sand appropriatly (without messing up your sandpaper).

first pic is technically a functional cabinet (with all the screws still in place) . Pic 2 is after I removed all the screws, filled the holes, and did 5 hours of finish work.

Use PL premium adhesive and from a strength standpoint, screws in vs screws out means nothing

If you have never built a horn subwoofer before, I recommend you buy Bill Fitz maurice Auto Tuba, Or T18 plans, as that cab can be built for under 150 dollars, and it will teach you the basics of horn subwoofer construction (knowledge of which you can apply to a tham or a th18 build afterwards).

Thanks for the insight, did you mentioned the Auto Tuba or the T18 because it's economical to built or because it teaches more than the rest of the cabs that Bill Fitz offers? I have the plans for the Tuba 30, can I build that one instead for the experience? Thanks

Thanks for the insight, did you mentioned the Auto Tuba or the T18 because it's economical to built or because it teaches more than the rest of the cabs that Bill Fitz offers? I have the plans for the Tuba 30, can I build that one instead for the experience? Thanks

The T30 are just as fine as the T18 and AT(The plans are very informative so this is a good advice from Sine), I have four T30's and one AT, it's a joyful experience and you will learn a LOT from the mistakes and such from the first cab, making your second cab twice as fast to assemble and of better construction.

Good luck with the builds

Great glue but unnecessary in this application. Even on butt joints, yellow glue is more than adequate.

I disagree. I feel like PL Premium is the gold standard for DIY horns. Tacky to hold joints, very viscous to stay where you want, has volume to fill joints, and expands to make sure everything's sealed up tight. Plenty of strength to boot. I can understand using wood glue if everything's precision cut and you have plenty of clamps around, but PL is fantastic for a novice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.