servo speaker for subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have heard that there 2 possible types of sensor for using a speaker for bass with good transient response and minimum distortion: velocity sensor as special extra voice coil and small piezoelectric device attached to the cone to sense its acceleration.
I like to know which are the theoretical pros and cons of the 2 technique.
Moreover if practical solutions exist for the DIY as well off the shelf products.

Lots of kinds of sensors. My favourite (in the past) has been voice in a bridge. Double voice coil is another option, good because it is also easy to implement.

Massive amount of discussion at DIYaudio. Most recently, using high quality accelerometers (now available cheap) and digital finagling.

These systems are fabulously wonderful. The last frontier of getting feedback around the whole loop esp the weak-link of the speakers (at least for woofing).*

But tricky and potentially unstable. Therefore, chance you'll destroy a driver and very hard to manufacture and sell.

Ben
*ESL speakers don't need feedback so badly because you aren't shaking a big piece of cardboard to make sound crudely.

Last edited:
voice in a bridge.

Make that "voice coil in a Wheatstone Bridge - any unbalance of the bridge due to variation/distortion in the back-EMF of the voice coil serves as the feedback signal"

A manufacturer can sell such systems despite their instability if they use a low amount of feedback (and hence, a low amount of benefit).

In theory, works only for sealed boxes although, this being the Land of the Internet, you can apply MF to any box you feel like.

Yes, you can get fabulous tight bass like in no other way (unless somebody starts making monster ESLs). But the driver still needs to be able to do the moves to make the music.

Ben

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.