Pair of Lab12's - recommendations?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
On a lot of amps you can, but can an iNuke handle an impedance that goes lower than 2.0000 ohms on a side?

The question of course is if the alignment actually drops below 2 ohms within its passband. I'd be tempted to give it a try, and just shift to one LAB per side if I'm not happy with the results.

True story: I was testing out on POC#2 on with my iNuke a few months ago and found that the output from the POC#2 was a lot lower than expected, but yet the fan on the iNuke was going like crazy. Turns out that the speaker cable had shorted inside the SpeakOn connector because I hadn't wired in the damned thing correctly. The iNuke was basically trying to drive something in the region of 0.2 Ohms all that time...

Seems like a good place to ask... I went to sim (Hornresp) a pair of PAL12 against a dual LAB12 KS and am a bit confused with dual drivers. Does diaphragm displacement take into account when you use 2 drivers? Changed TH to 2 and the xmax does not change much, but it does change. As a newbie I would think you could feed nearly twice the power to 2 drivers before xmax. Still learning. Thanks!

I am 5'7" and workout regularly and the KS is a big cab for one dude. Hand truck is necessary.

Hi Zwiller,

Eg is the amplifier output voltage (see: Hornresp Help file). It does not change when you add additional drivers. Also, the drivers can be connected in series or in parallel, or in a combination of those. That changes the total enclosure impedance, and thus the amount of power that flows into the enclosure for a given Eg.

Regards,

Thanks for playing along Oliver. Looked at it again and found my source of confusion, the sims in the original PAL12 post were based on a 4ohm driver when it is actually 6 for the LAB12. Xmax on the PAL12 is achieved at only 250w/6ohms. 2 parallel drivers in the KS fed 400w/3ohms to xmax. In the end, the pair of PAL12 have 1-2db more output than dual LAB12 KS. FR near identical.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.