Tall, upward firing sub. Help requested.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can someone help me design a subwoofer / helper woofer similar to the design on the second to last page of this document.

https://www.passdiy.com/pdf/el-pipe-o.pdf

I want to make it from wood (not a Sonotube) and it would be square (not round).

Goal: The goal is to make a tall, upward firing enclosure that won't vibrate the floor in my apartment. I don't want to disturb the neighbor below. I want to use the ceiling as bass reinforcement and I plan to place this in a corner. I am hoping by making the opening at the top (I'd go as tall as seven and a half feet - my ceilings are 8 feet). I am hoping this type of design, especially with the woofers open at the back, would not vibrate the floor much.

Can someone model a simple enclosure made from plywood that would generate bass down to about 50Hz or lower using a typical 8" woofer? I am not looking for state of the art performance, only a solution so not to bother my neighbor. Additionally, what specs would the woofer need to be?

Currently, I'm using an H-frame with Eminence Alpha 15's. The floor vibrates so much!

Many thanks in advance!
Zilla

Can someone help me design a subwoofer / helper woofer similar to the design on the second to last page of this document.

https://www.passdiy.com/pdf/el-pipe-o.pdf

I want to make it from wood (not a Sonotube) and it would be square (not round).

Goal: The goal is to make a tall, upward firing enclosure that won't vibrate the floor in my apartment. I don't want to disturb the neighbor below. I want to use the ceiling as bass reinforcement and I plan to place this in a corner. I am hoping by making the opening at the top (I'd go as tall as seven and a half feet - my ceilings are 8 feet). I am hoping this type of design, especially with the woofers open at the back, would not vibrate the floor much.

Can someone model a simple enclosure made from plywood that would generate bass down to about 50Hz or lower using a typical 8" woofer? I am not looking for state of the art performance, only a solution so not to bother my neighbor. Additionally, what specs would the woofer need to be?

Currently, I'm using an H-frame with Eminence Alpha 15's. The floor vibrates so much!

Many thanks in advance!
Zilla

Hi Zilla,

Have a look at the submitted Pictures:

b:)

Attachments

• Dayton Audio DA215-8_Pipes.JPG
    Dayton Audio DA215-8_Pipes.JPG
    620.3 KB · Views: 226
  • Dayton Audio DA215-8_T-QWP.JPG
    Dayton Audio DA215-8_T-QWP.JPG
    600.5 KB · Views: 224
I have tall subs almost 4' mltl, that use a 6.5". Even with force cancellation the acoustical energy is plenty enough for any neighbor to hear. Without force cancellation they vibrate only in the vertical plane. Altho Im on a slab, attention to this detail is important and should be minimized. These vibrations are not so deep as to cause this annoyance, what comes out the port certainly does.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.