Dual subwoofer/media console - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2014, 09:17 PM   #1
onni is offline onni  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default Dual subwoofer/media console (L26ROY)

I've been thinking a lot about how to build speakers that will satisfy both my wifes and my preferences. The one large problem (according to my wife) with most of the designs I like is that they are to big. I found a solution that seem to solve these problems: A media console with built in subwoofers.

Let's start with some renderings:

Click the image to open in full size.
Two stained oak sheets (2900x500 mm, 27 mm thick). High gloss white panels from IKEA (BESTÅ TOFTA).

End contains a sealed subwoofer enclosure. On top of console is 4 mm banana connectors for speaker containing midrange/woofer and tweeter.

A total of 6 amplifier channels, placed close to where they are used. Silenced air intake at one end (shown) and outlet at the other. Fans situated at center of space.

The middle space is going to house:
PC
TV-box
Amplifiers
MiniDSP 2x8 + DIGI-FP + VOL-FP (will act as pre-amplifier)
Router
Fans (3 x Noctua 140 mm)
Thunder protected outlets

Not very evident from the renderings is that the center white panel is the only one that opens. It will hide power switches and fuses for all parts.

The reason for the space between wall and subwoofer enclosures is that the right one is at the power outlet on wall and the left one at the TV/broadband outlet.

(Sorry for my crappy English, just ask if I'm not making myself understood.)

/Anton

Last edited by onni; 7th November 2014 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Added subwoofer type to title
Old 6th November 2014, 09:31 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The build actually started a few months ago, but I have 2 kids (3 months, 3 years old) so the pace is quite slow. Here are a few pics from the process so far:

This is one of the cut and sanded oak sheets:

It was stained by pouring Herdins Lackbets (Herdins Lackbets) on and evening it out with this:

It looked like this after four surfaces:

After covering the surface with stain it was quickly removed using a dry microfiber cloth, like this one:

I wanted a surface with a lot of contrast and visible grain. This is the result:
Exactly what I wanted. (The first three surfaces don't look nearly as good, I let the stain sink in too deep which made it too dark and even.)

Testing the layout:

/Anton
Old 7th November 2014, 12:22 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

(Sub)scribed!
Old 7th November 2014, 12:52 PM   #4
epa is offline epa  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

looks nice ,but why the connections on top?
Old 7th November 2014, 01:06 PM   #5
S4m is offline S4m  Germany
diyAudio Member

...subscribed! Looks really nice
Old 8th November 2014, 09:04 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epa View Post
looks nice ,but why the connections on top?
Thanks!

It felt like the visually cleanest way to get the cable to a speaker standing on the console. Here is a rendering I did (before deciding to move the legs in from the ends) of the end result I'm going for:

The cable will be short (~50 cm) and sleeved. I've bought Supra Classic 4.0 mm² and sleeves (12 mm and 6 mm diameter, link), as well as Nakamichi speaker plugs (link) and connectors (link). Hopefully they will make a nice bi-amp cable together

/Anton
Old 8th November 2014, 09:05 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4m View Post
...subscribed! Looks really nice
Thanks!
Old 8th November 2014, 10:18 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default A few more pics from the process so far

And some questions...

The speaker cabinets were joined using glue and screws:
The only missing part in this picture is a last fir rib that stiffens the bottom panel.

I placed the MDF shell on the top oak sheet (with its top face down) and measured that the cabinet was in the correct positions. Then I outlined the MDF on the oak, removed the MDF shell and added glue:

Then I fastened the MDF shell (after measuring again):

Both MDF shells joined to the top oak sheet:

Before joining the bottom oak sheet (the one with feet) to the MDF shells I need to figure out how the speakers should be stuffed. I had some acoustic panels (fiberglass) over from another project which I found were very easy to cut into shape:
So I filled the two compartments in the back and placed one piece (5 cm thick) on each side wall:

The inner volume is 50 l (after subtraction of driver volume) and sims like this at 140 W (Xmax with HP at 15 Hz) in WINISD:
Qa = 30 (reasonable?), Vc temp rise = 50 K (reasonable?). A little room gain + a little lift using miniDSP should give me decent output (>100 dB) down to 20 Hz.

Question 1: Is this a decent amount of stuffing? I can add the polyester kind (see pic below) after I've joined everything and cut the hole in the baffle, but removing stuffing will be a p.i.t.a.

Another thing that has been on my mind is how vibrations will spread from the speaker to the electronics. The cabinet is built very stiff (IMHO), but there is not a lot of damping of vibrations. The plan is to add a CLD (constrained layer damping) solution to the front. A 3 mm thick foam used for floor damping is adhered to the MDF shell and the high gloss front is adhered to the foam.

Question 2: Will I need more damping? Should I use something like this (bitumen) on some surfaces:

/Anton
Old 10th November 2014, 09:23 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I like the enclosure color scheme. It reminds me of the dessert "ice cream sandwich"
Old 11th November 2014, 02:10 PM   #10
MemX is offline MemX  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Crappy English?

You have better English than some English people I know... lol

Hide this!Advertise here!