drivers for around 20hz UK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
cheers I'll have a go on that, I've been using another sim and so finding when I get the lab15 down to 20hz there's a dip between 20hz and bit higher up the range that you didn't get with the lab12, I think because of the different fs.

How loud do you want to go?

A double-12 that'll hit 20Hz will disappoint next to your double-15 that'll hit 134dB.

To get an idea of what you're up against, try blocking the port(s) on your 2x15" cab. EQ the response flat, and see how loud that goes.

Chris
If I do 12's, it will be four of them in one box.
I'm still looking for suitable 18's that can go flattish from 20-60hz, but having more luck with 12's.

Didn't have an spl in mind, but after giving it some thought and doing some research, I think 120db@20hz would be a nice target, and plenty of volume.

Like others have said, size is not the only factor, so aiming for an spl i guess makes more sense, and If I can reach these levels with fewer drivers of better quality, then I'm happy either way.
The lab12's seem to get good reviews and are pretty cheap, but I not sure what's a normal amount to pay for a decent. driver.
I'm still looking because the the f3 point is pretty much 20hz no matter what size box i sim, and I'd like to aim for a slightly flatter response to 20hz.

Ive been looking at different price ranges, but still haven't found much.

I've bought four lab12's
now need to design box, when using the sim the bigger the box, the lower the f3, but I know there's a limit to how big is optimal. Using the advice here QTS parameters How to Pick the Right speaker for your Speaker Cabinets
which using a calculation from t/s comes up with optimum box volume of 92.05litres, and says you go up to 2 times the optimum box volume.
Works out if i do 150 litre's per sub, it will be tuned to 19.64hz which is 61.36% larger than what they call optimum.
So I rounded it up to 600 litre box.
Next looking at ports sizes, which I another minefield, I'm thinking 10cm ports as people say larger ports keep port noise down, and thinking 2, 1 each side as some say helps keep pressure more even inside. lengthwise using port calculators, so far between 8-14cm
I have further research to do, but i'm I on the right track?

Did you get the x 4 deal from Blue Arron ? If not where ?

4 in a 600L box tuned to 20Hz with 2 x 100mm diam round port, after end correction, i get around 90mm depth ! Which is in your range, so you're doing good so far. I would prefer to go larger, for eg 2 x 150mm x 240mm which would give much less port noise.

VAS for one = 125L x 4 = 500L so @ 600L it's actually only 20% more ! Remember that www says "Remember these are guidelines, and there are always exceptions" which in my experience over the years, is mostly Always the case.

Yeah they're safe and I know I like the sound.
I didn't go for horn because of complexity of build, risk of not liking the sound, little room for error I'd imagine. Also time delay, although some say this doesn't matter low down, and this can be rectified, but something else to purchase.
Some of these concerns are trivia but all added up

I think they work better at distance, if they were for an outside gigs I'd do horns, I know a well designed horn has far more efficiency,but for my purpose I think I'll have enough volume.

Last edited:
How about going PPSL?

Check out my build thread (should be able to find it if you click on my name on the left) - the Stereo Integrity HT18 drivers are only about £200 each imported (inclusive of shipping and taxes), have 23mm of XMax (or thereabouts) and will take more than the rated power in a small box, although if you're looking at 800litres, that will not be a small box... lol

Hi,

FYI:

b:)

Attachments

• Eminence LAB-12 (LAB 12) Twin Pack_BR.JPG
    Eminence LAB-12 (LAB 12) Twin Pack_BR.JPG
    677.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Eminence LAB-12 (LAB 12) Twin Pack_T-QWP.JPG
    Eminence LAB-12 (LAB 12) Twin Pack_T-QWP.JPG
    677.4 KB · Views: 77
How about going PPSL?

Check out my build thread (should be able to find it if you click on my name on the left) - the Stereo Integrity HT18 drivers are only about £200 each imported (inclusive of shipping and taxes), have 23mm of XMax (or thereabouts) and will take more than the rated power in a small box, although if you're looking at 800litres, that will not be a small box... lol
this is my first diy box, so i thought i'd keep it simple.

Dayton Audio UM18-22 18"
they look perfect, but i could only find the 12" version and was £300, plus but i've bought 4 lab12 already, got a good deal aswell.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.