Hivi M8a Subwoofer Build - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th October 2014, 04:45 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Hivi M8a Subwoofer Build

Hey guys, I have been browsing the forum for some time now, and decided to share something I'm working on.

I am currently building a 2.1 channel system for my room, and the sub is on of the first things I am attacking. I decided to do a compound isobaric design to see how it performs compared to other setups I have tried with these woofers.

I am using 2 Hivi M8a mid-bass woofers, in a 1.5 cubic foot box (1.45 after displacement) It is vented with a 6 inch by 1.5 inch slot, tuned to about 33Hz. The box is made from 3/4 inch MDF, which I will never use again.. I will be finishing the box next weekend, which includes routing out the port, and rounding the ends, and the outside of the box. I haven't decided what I'm gonna do to it to make it pretty yet though, any suggestions?

I will be building a 120 watt amp to power this little beast, tinkering with the idea of making it an active sub. I haven't had any decent play time yet, listening to it with an LM3875 amp that clips at about 25 watts isn't doing it much justice...

I used WinISD to help with the design, I have attached a screenshot, and I have also attached a few shots of the woofer, and then obviously the box itself.
Attached Images
File Type: png graph 3.png (125.5 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0001.jpg (809.0 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0002.jpg (726.6 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9996.jpg (544.0 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9997.jpg (638.5 KB, 92 views)
Old 28th October 2014, 05:19 PM   #2
Mihkus is offline Mihkus  Estonia
diyAudio Member

You could have tuned it lower maybe even flat to 25Hz..
Old 29th October 2014, 03:31 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I would have, but port length would have been too long in this small of a box with that size slot, and any smaller and the port noise would have started to become noticeable. I decided to just do a regular vented box in the end, as one of my woofers make an awful noise.. I think I damaged the voicecoil from when I got a little crazy with them in the last box (1/4 wave t-line)

Hide this!Advertise here!