Stacked 8" to complement FR LineArray? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st October 2014, 09:03 AM   #1
Halair is offline Halair  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default Stacked 8" to complement FR LineArray?

My first thread here in the Sub-section - pun intended

I have made myself a pair of FR LA`s which I find work very well in my HT-room, the nature of FR LA`s is that they roll off a little in both the HF/LF range (Actually more a MF-boost)
What I am researching at the moment is woofer support for the arrays mainly for film use.

Based on the PartsExpress inventory what are your ideas for solutions? I have attached a SPL-chart showing the un-EQ`d response in pink which would be the area for the woofers to cover. (Purple show EQ`d response)
I am not sure I prefer 1x12", 2x10" or maybe 4x8" per side but the latter is were my desire lies. A sub-array of sorts... As always, I am on a budget PE have Dayton 8" cheap - http://wholesale.parts-express.com/d...oofer--295-310

As far as amplifing goes I have two unused channels available (Emotiva UPA-5 amp) that I want to use (2x125W 8ohm / 185W 4ohm per ch)

Input would be greatly appreciated, atleast a nudge in the "right" direction
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eq vs uneq.jpg (162.6 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg HalairColumn.jpg (539.9 KB, 136 views)

Last edited by Halair; 1st October 2014 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Added project parameters
Old 1st October 2014, 09:18 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halair View Post
1)Based on the PartsExpress inventory what are your ideas for solutions?
2)I have attached a SPL-chart showing the un-EQ`d response in pink which would be the area for the woofers to cover. (Purple show EQ`d response)
I am not sure I prefer 1x12", 2x10" or maybe 4x8" per side but the latter is were my desire lies. A sub-array of sorts... As always, I am on a budget PE have Dayton 8" cheap - http://wholesale.parts-express.com/d...oofer--295-310
1) I'd suggest looking at displacement vs. cost, just a quick look at the 15" Dayton Classic shows it has the displacement of 3.8 times the 8", but only costs 2.8 times as much.
2) The low frequency response dip looks like it may be a room mode problem.
Old 2nd October 2014, 01:16 AM   #3
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

What is wrong with the EQ'd version?

Also, I'd not make the HF section flat or rising...
Old 2nd October 2014, 07:28 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
1) I'd suggest looking at displacement vs. cost, just a quick look at the 15" Dayton Classic shows it has the displacement of 3.8 times the 8", but only costs 2.8 times as much.
2) The low frequency response dip looks like it may be a room mode problem.
1 - I think, but isnt sure, that the system would "prefer" more smaller and faster woofers vs a larger/heavier one? However I follow you on displacement/price issue.
2 - That might very well be the case, it was worse before untill I initiated sound treatment in the room. (Room is 505x405x220cm or 16'-6"x13'-4"x7-3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
What is wrong with the EQ'd version?
Also, I'd not make the HF section flat or rising...
For music/hifi use the EQ`d response is pretty darn good to my ears IMHO
However when I watch movies I miss more in the LF region. As of now if I turn the volume up to get the bass I prefer for movies voices are too loud, if I dial down to get a good voice level LF is lacking, the physical part.
Since I am using a FR LA the impulse response is darn quick which lead me towards several smaller woofers instead of a single larger/heavier sub. Thats my reasoning so far anyways

Bottom line - I want to build something
Something that can match the arrays and complement it where I feel they lack "the little extra" for movies.
Old 2nd October 2014, 04:38 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halair View Post
1 - I think, but isnt sure, that the system would "prefer" more smaller and faster woofers vs a larger/heavier one? However I follow you on displacement/price issue.

Since I am using a FR LA the impulse response is darn quick which lead me towards several smaller woofers instead of a single larger/heavier sub. Thats my reasoning so far anyways
I wasn't suggesting a single 15" sub, it looks like at least two (or the equivalent cone area using smaller drivers) would be required to get some "big bottom" to keep up with your line arrays. Crossing the LA (and subs) at 80-100 Hz will also clean up their sound considerably when the LF gets intense.

Given the same BL, I don't find a difference in the "sound" (measured or perceived) between large and small diameter cones, but considering that you are going for "cost effective", but accurate reproduction, you do have some conflicting goals, larger bass drivers require more magnet to achieve the same transient response. Of course, "fast" transient response at 100 Hz is not too hard to achieve even with low cost drivers in sealed cabinets.

At any rate, multiple smaller drivers in more separate cabinets allows you to place them such that they can work better in averaging out room modes, so from that standpoint alone you won't get any arguments from me whether you decide on two 15" boxes or four 2x8".

Bottom line- seems you like cutting holes, make lots of them!

Art
Old 3rd October 2014, 07:08 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
...it looks like at least two (or the equivalent cone area using smaller drivers) would be required to get some "big bottom" to keep up with your line arrays. Crossing the LA (and subs) at 80-100 Hz will also clean up their sound considerably when the LF gets intense..

Bottom line- seems you like cutting holes, make lots of them!
Thank you Art for the info, this do help me a lot.
Relieving the LA`s from the LF duties is the secondary objective of this excersise.

No - I dont mind wood work

Hide this!Advertise here!