4 THAM15 Placement for Outdoor Stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have 4 THAM15s that I will be using for an outdoor show. I am wondering what the best arrangement would be for the 4 boxes to provide the most uniform coverage across the entire listening area. I know stacking all 4 together would give the max output, however I am more concerned with having the entire listening area sound uniform. Here is a quick drawing of placements that would work for me, I was reading somewhere (sorry I forgot the link) that the 3rd option would give the most uniform sound. Is this true or should I try something different than the 3 I sketched below? Sorry, I am completely lost here and would appreciate help.

ku2BzsN.jpg

No large "planes" in the area besides the ground? You have the orientation correct, tapped horns have better dispersion on their sides as pictured. Most do at least.

Yes, the stage is in an open field. The ground it the only boundary. I am just trying to figure out what would be the best speaker placement for the 4 horns to provide the most uniform coverage and longest throw.

Thank you again for the assistance.

Thank you very much for the link. I will try to get up to speed and wrap my head around it. I have a dbx driverack pa+ I am using on our small indoor setup and was planning on using it for this outdoor setup as well. I am definitely willing to add additional processing if necessary to accommodate delay.

Thanks.

I am just trying to figure out what would be the best speaker placement for the 4 horns to provide the most uniform coverage and longest throw.
The "longest throw" results from the loudest array, which would be a central block with all four mouths together, a 2over2 array as in one side of "stage 2". That array also would be loudest on stage, which can be a problem for live music or turntables playing vinyl. It would have the least comb filtering (peaks and dips) in the bass region, but the most comb filtering in the crossover region.

As far as even coverage through the crossover region over the width of the field, your "stage 2" drawing provides the most uniform (on average) coverage.

Only seems to work okay if you delay the outer subs (and then, I guess, the rest of the PA) by ~3ms (for 6m distance between inner and each outer sub)
You do seem to gain a decent amount of side rejection, though - 6-12dB.
80Hz is the upper limit, though: messy at 100Hz.

Ended up using D&B ArrayCalc - its their own software, but they do a decent variety of subs to play around with.

Chris

Edit - delaying the inner subs by the same 3ms gives a slightly narrower frontal coverage, but they'll be time-aligned with the rest of the PA. Much better.

Last edited:
Edit - delaying the inner subs by the same 3ms gives a slightly narrower frontal coverage, but they'll be time-aligned with the rest of the PA. Much better.
The inner subs can only be time aligned to the L/R PA speakers at one specific distance in the center of the coverage pattern, at all other locations there will be a path length difference and resulting peaks and troughs in the frequency range of overlap.

If uniform LF dispersion and minimizing of lobes or combfiltering is concerned would not the tightest possible centrered cluster (allready voiced) be the most benificial ? if I understand you right you have 1m in height at your disposal under the stage ? if so then stand them all up and stack them side to side four in a row, that leaves a maximum of 36mm between the four apatures wich in practice makes them act as "one" 2m wide source.

As for aligning it to the tops at x-over, that's tricky, centreclustering of the tops would be nice, as a mian source with additional delaeyed sidefills if possible, not stereo though (a dealbreaker I guess), other then that i's a balancing act to get system coherence.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.