Open baffle with motional feedback

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Usually motional feedback is implemented on a closed box speaker, but I seem to remember reading that it ought to be possible to apply it to an open baffle loudspeaker too. It does sound interesting (in the broadest sense of the word!) - but has anybody experimented with it?

MFB

Philips (actual product) and Celestion (experimentally as I understand) both abondoned it, I'd see what I could learn from one of the Philips MFB speakers, or at least a circuit diagram.
MFB I think would be an ideal technology for bass reproduction, if it could be made to work, nothing a little onboard computing power wouldn't be able to handle I would imagine.
I think Noel Keyward of Hi-Fi World magazine dabbled with it as well, albeit in a rather too simplistic fashion as it transpired!

SC

Keep in mind that the motional feedback won't change the bass loss that arises when you use a driver in an open baffle configuration. This is an acoustic phenomenon.

Motional feedback attempts to make the cone movement follow the (electrical) input signal closely. You will still need to contour or EQ the input signal mirror the acoustic loss at low frequency from the open baffle loading.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.