Speaker Level Output into powered RCA speakers - Will it explode?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

I just got a powered subwoofer with RCA inputs but only Speaker Level outputs.
My computer has only 1 output jack which i am connecting to the Subwoofer via Stereo->2xRCA.

I need to transport the rest of the signal to my speakers which have RCA inputs and their own power supply.

If I cut the RCA input wires of the speakers and plug them right into the speaker level outputs, will my powered speakers explode?

Last edited:
I'm not totally sure I understand what you are doing but if your sub has speaker level outs, that is for when you feed it speaker level ins and it scabs enough signal for line level while it passes the rest through to the mains. So no, you can't do what you're thinking of and get signal. The sub's amp isn't connected to those L&R outs.

Can't you put 2 Y-jacks on the stereo out of your computer and feed it into your main L&R speakers and the sub L&R input? Sorry if I misunderstand what's going on here with your setup, maybe a diagram would help.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
if your sub has speaker level outs, that is for when you feed it speaker level ins
Right, no in, no out, It's simple first order high pass though.
So no, you can't do what you're thinking of and get signal. The sub's amp isn't connected to those L&R outs.
Right
Can't you put 2 Y-jacks on the stereo out of your computer and feed it into your main L&R speakers and the sub L&R input?
See my post #6 and his reply.

Hi!

I think I understand now, the Speaker Out is a passthrough for the Speaker In. It won't output signal coming in from Line In, right?

If so then I guess I just need to cash out for a splitter and an extra cable :)

Yeah, then you're stylin'!

Just make sure that when you connect that sub jack it doesn't make your stereo L&R turn into mono. It shouldn't because your sub input is probably designed to sum L and R without adding to crosstalk but I play it like the Xfiles and trust no one. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.