HT receiver -- subwoofer ground loop

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I am building a home theater and I ran into a ground loop problem.
The loop is between my HT receiver and the subwoofer. If I attach a cable (regular speaker cable) from the case of my HT receiver all the way up to the sub (ground of the RCA connector), the loop almost completely disapears.
I would like to have a real solution for my problem rather than a cheap fix.
What would you suggest to fix this problem once and for all?

Thanks for your help,

Does your subwoofer amplifier's power cord have a 3 prong connection? You might want to try a cord that's missing the ground pin, or if it's not detachable, one of those little gizmos that converts 3 prong to 2.

The amp that drives my subs had quite a nasty hum until I did that, however I was a little more violent about it, I just ripped the ground pin out with dykes. :p

Thanks for your help.

@mars1234: indeed, this is not a cheap fix. A bit too expensive in fact ;)

I went with DrDyna fix for now. I am not too happy with it, I would prefer to keep the ground but it solve my ground loop problem.

Any other ideas?

I've been running my subwoofer amp like this for a couple of years and it hasn't given me any issues. Some pieces of gear even have "ground lift" switches on them for treating this exact issue.

You could track down the grounds for both outlets in you electric panel and put them under the same set screw, same could be done for the neutral side, or even run both circuits from the same breaker if legal.

Pro tip: disconnect cable or satellite coax - that could also be the source of the loop...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.