Tempest Ported Enclosure - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th March 2002, 02:39 AM   #11
Super is offline Super  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Super
A small table saw might be worth while. I picked up a mid sized craftsman one for under $200 from Sears. It is infinitely easier to make straight cuts with that than with a saber saw or any other saw. I dont know how I survived without it...
Old 11th March 2002, 06:44 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to SsZERO Send a message via AIM to SsZERO
Well, I have some good news to share. Today I returned the cutout tool and picked up a Skilsaw HD77 at Home Depot, along with a DeWalt 36 tooth carbide finishing blade and an aluminum cutting guide. This saw is simply incredible when it comes to straight-line cutting. It is a worm gear drive type saw, and it has tons of power and torque...I highly recommend this particular saw because it does what it is built to do exceptionally well.

Last night, I spent over 2 hours trying to cut 22" squares, and ultimately I failed, wasting a piece of MDF in the process. Tonight me and my skilsaw did the four side panels (two 32x22" and two 32x20.5") in less than an hour...with PERFECT results! Due to the saw's massive power, I was able to stack the MDF and cut out two panels in one pass. The saw cut right through the 1.5" of MDF effortlessly, leaving a clean cut with no rough edges.

To anyone who is just starting out, let me just say that if you want to build the best speakers, you need to use the best tools. The HD77 costs $160 and there is a version with a magnesium base, HD77M, which is lighter, it goes for $180. The DeWalt carbide saw blades are a good choice because they have a yellow non-stick coating on the outer edge of the blade, allowing them to make smooth, quite and accurate cuts.

-= SsZERO =-
Old 11th March 2002, 06:50 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to SsZERO Send a message via AIM to SsZERO
Yeah, I was looking at the cheap table saws today and I wasn't too impressed with their build quality. I guess they will do the job, but personally I'd prefer to hold off on purchasing tools until I can afford the good ones or the good ones fall into my affordability range.

The Skilsaw I got is awesome, as you can deduce from my previous post. I also picked up a black and decker workbench for $30 at home depot. It's a really simple bench/vise combo, but its really sturdy and has a smooth surface, making it ideal for working with MDF without scratching it up.

-= SsZERO =-

Quote:
Originally posted by Super
A small table saw might be worth while. I picked up a mid sized craftsman one for under $200 from Sears. It is infinitely easier to make straight cuts with that than with a saber saw or any other saw. I dont know how I survived without it...

Hide this!Advertise here!