Iron Law Demonstration Device: SPL - the one that got away.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It seems I am getting some kind of 'farting' nioes from the sub woofer, seeming coming from the driver itself. it is there no matter how quietly i play the speakers. Is this what sharply cut off bass is meant to sound like ?
No, a cut off should reduce "farting".

Might be air leaks, though at low volume generally they don't "fart". A partial short (crossed wire) could make an amp limit, which could sound farty.
If the speaker frame is warped (or was driven hard enough to melt insulation), the voice coil could be dragging, you can check for that by applying even finger pressure on the cone, it should move to past Xmax with no dragging or noise.

I think the farting was just me not being used to the compressed kick drum used in dance music without any HF. Sine waves sound smooth (to a certain volume). They are plenty loud in an average room it turns out. At least that is what I gain from the initial test, need to wait till morning before I can crank it properly.

I just want my China amplifiers to come so that I can experiment with the speakers in different places. Lets just say that on top of a desk filled with small rattly things is not my first choice for sub-woofer location.

GGDovTJ.jpg

I have it working on batteries now. Jesus it was hard getting all the wires in neatly. Unfortunately there is still some rattling inside the box, I think the only way to stop that is to redesign the thing with wiring more than just an afterthought. Perhaps a dedicated all in one pcb.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.