anyone remember Community Boxer Bass Horn?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A customer turned their beautiful old school PA over to me to either buy from them or sell for them. The subs are Community Boxer Bass Horn dual 18 cabs loaded with Gauss 18s (actually 3 Gauss & one Peavey Black widow 1801) the boxes are 3/4" ply, glassed, & on 4" casters.

There stops my preliminary info on these cabs.

A search on the interweb pipes yielded pretty much a total lack of info...all I know is what I already knew. Community made them thingies they called the Boxer Bass Horn...these be some o' them... Anyone here remember these horns? Any info, be it subjective or factory data on these would be appreciated.

I have tested the drivers, and in the absence of any info I'm figuring an early fall project will be to work backwards from empirical data...do a 100W sweep & analyze their output & approximate polars, and then measure & model the horns to decide if they should be sold as they sit, kicked into play with one of my rigs, or if the Gauss drivers and the cabs could more effectively lead separate lives.

The rest of the rig is 2x12" JBL K120-16 mid horns that look to be typical of no-name pro cab builds from the 70's & 80's and 2" Gauss HF4000-16 mounted on JBL 2395 and boxed with road-key lids to protect in transit. All of the cabs were originally set up with EP connectors & converted over to Speakon at some point.

I'm actually looking forward to setting the rig up as a whole & hearing it together, expect it to be a lovely blast from the past, but it'll be a couple of months down the road before I have time.

Thoughts anyone?

A customer turned their beautiful old school PA over to me to either buy from them or sell for them. The subs are Community Boxer Bass Horn dual 18 cabs loaded with Gauss 18s (actually 3 Gauss & one Peavey Black widow 1801) the boxes are 3/4" ply, glassed, & on 4" casters.

I'm actually looking forward to setting the rig up as a whole & hearing it together, expect it to be a lovely blast from the past, but it'll be a couple of months down the road before I have time.

Thoughts anyone?
IIRC, the Boxer was a two part cabinet with a back chamber and a rather stubby horn compared to the Leviathan. A photo would revive my memory cells further.

The Gauss speakers were pretty advanced for the late 1970's, dual spiders, 400 watts power handling, much more Xmax and power handling than the usual stuff from the era.

As far as purchase or sale of a system like that, good luck with either, Community made good stuff (for the time), but had limited acceptance other than on the upper East Coast.
Unfortunately, the drivers are worth more outside the cabinets (and not worth much) and the cabinets would have more sale potential if advertised as planters.

Art

Communitypro.com

... Anyone here remember these horns? Any info, be it subjective or factory data on these would be appreciated. Thoughts anyone?

Hi there T: Found history of Communitypro.com ( BBH was a 1979 design ). Interesting company, now located in Chester Pa. ...regards, Michael

Hey Trackzilla;

Did you light it up yet? I pretty much bleed JBL orange but there are several Community horns that I just love and it looks like you have at least two of them.

Should you decide not to keep them please sell them to me!

Hey bitsmasher;

Are those your M80's? Do you have back caps? Any other Community like RH60's and or BRH90's?

All the best,
Barry

I happen to have a pair of Community Boxers, and a pair of Community M-80's (with a pair of jbl 60x90 mid throw horns, adn on top of that a pair of jbl constant directivity tweeters. When properly tuned with say a urei 525 4 way (stereo) crossover, they are truly awesome, loud and crisp, adn a saxaphone from the horns will cut your head off at 75 feet. If anyones interested, I need teh storage space back...

i have seen 4 here in the uk before which used to belong to HSL and Dave Howden at community forwarded me some datasheets on the 2x18" boxer bass horn along with the instructions they supplied with them originally for the cabinet build (it seems that often only the horn flare was shipped. I imagined they would be really interesting to hear and punchy although probably not very flat. the cabinet design also incorporated reflex ports tuned fairly low but it was a big box with a large rear chamber.

Yeah it should be crazy.

My current out door large format system has a pair of RCA 9462 "Unangi" bass horns with loaded with JBL 2226's under Community M80's loaded with JBL 2020h's topped with Community RH60's driven with JBL 2441's. When running at close to their comfortable limit with my favorite loud demo track (The Race by Yellow) most people stand between 50-150 feet back.

Short story, I am a member of an audio club here in Las Vegas and one of the meets was at my shop where this system lives. In two years of meeting with these guys this system accomplished something I have NEVER seen before or since, people applaud after music tracks, track after track. Even playing recorded material, the experience is so different is evokes a "perfomenace" response from listeners. The way this system involves me emotionally is nearly all I ever wanted in an audio system.

It will be interesting to see how the Boxers sound by comparison.

Barry.

Wow, and I thought I had some BIG toys. Stumbled across the ubangi horns on ebay the other day. Then I ran across some posts where you were acquiring them as I went to learn more about them. You gotta post pics of this monster system! An audio club sounds really cool too.

Try this, pictured is a pair of real Boxers Bass Horns flanked by a pair of Leviathans, topped with a pair of BRH90's and SRH90's.

All Community horns, all JBL drivers. My neighbors love me! :D

Barry

Attachments

• Patio Sys.jpg
    Patio Sys.jpg
    652.5 KB · Views: 318
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.