anyone remember Community Boxer Bass Horn? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th July 2014, 12:37 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default anyone remember Community Boxer Bass Horn?

A customer turned their beautiful old school PA over to me to either buy from them or sell for them. The subs are Community Boxer Bass Horn dual 18 cabs loaded with Gauss 18s (actually 3 Gauss & one Peavey Black widow 1801) the boxes are 3/4" ply, glassed, & on 4" casters.

There stops my preliminary info on these cabs.

A search on the interweb pipes yielded pretty much a total lack of info...all I know is what I already knew. Community made them thingies they called the Boxer Bass Horn...these be some o' them... Anyone here remember these horns? Any info, be it subjective or factory data on these would be appreciated.

I have tested the drivers, and in the absence of any info I'm figuring an early fall project will be to work backwards from empirical data...do a 100W sweep & analyze their output & approximate polars, and then measure & model the horns to decide if they should be sold as they sit, kicked into play with one of my rigs, or if the Gauss drivers and the cabs could more effectively lead separate lives.

The rest of the rig is 2x12" JBL K120-16 mid horns that look to be typical of no-name pro cab builds from the 70's & 80's and 2" Gauss HF4000-16 mounted on JBL 2395 and boxed with road-key lids to protect in transit. All of the cabs were originally set up with EP connectors & converted over to Speakon at some point.

I'm actually looking forward to setting the rig up as a whole & hearing it together, expect it to be a lovely blast from the past, but it'll be a couple of months down the road before I have time.

Thoughts anyone?
Old 29th July 2014, 01:32 AM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Have you tried the prosound web & forum? Unless they've finally retired, there is [was?] dudes that dated back to the '60s: Pro Sound Web

GM
Old 29th July 2014, 01:54 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackzilla View Post
A customer turned their beautiful old school PA over to me to either buy from them or sell for them. The subs are Community Boxer Bass Horn dual 18 cabs loaded with Gauss 18s (actually 3 Gauss & one Peavey Black widow 1801) the boxes are 3/4" ply, glassed, & on 4" casters.

I'm actually looking forward to setting the rig up as a whole & hearing it together, expect it to be a lovely blast from the past, but it'll be a couple of months down the road before I have time.

Thoughts anyone?
IIRC, the Boxer was a two part cabinet with a back chamber and a rather stubby horn compared to the Leviathan. A photo would revive my memory cells further.

The Gauss speakers were pretty advanced for the late 1970's, dual spiders, 400 watts power handling, much more Xmax and power handling than the usual stuff from the era.

As far as purchase or sale of a system like that, good luck with either, Community made good stuff (for the time), but had limited acceptance other than on the upper East Coast.
Unfortunately, the drivers are worth more outside the cabinets (and not worth much) and the cabinets would have more sale potential if advertised as planters.

Art
Old 29th July 2014, 02:14 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Communitypro.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackzilla View Post

... Anyone here remember these horns? Any info, be it subjective or factory data on these would be appreciated. Thoughts anyone?
Hi there T: Found history of Communitypro.com ( BBH was a 1979 design ). Interesting company, now located in Chester Pa. ...regards, Michael
Old 29th July 2014, 08:42 AM   #5
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

The reflex part was tuned quite high, the horn part was so small it just added a bit of 'shout' in the 200hz region.

The Boxer Series mid-horn for a 12 was OK.

http--usr.audioasylum.com-images-5-59018-flares1.jpg
Old 31st July 2014, 03:15 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

fixed url:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 24th October 2014, 08:38 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hey Trackzilla;

Did you light it up yet? I pretty much bleed JBL orange but there are several Community horns that I just love and it looks like you have at least two of them.

Should you decide not to keep them please sell them to me!

Hey bitsmasher;

Are those your M80's? Do you have back caps? Any other Community like RH60's and or BRH90's?

All the best,
Barry
Old 25th October 2014, 07:54 AM   #8
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

BRH90's and Boxer mid-bass horns forever!

My take on a mid-bass horn:

Click the image to open in full size.

Current system:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...CoePA-2009.jpg

Hide this!Advertise here!