PWR-ICE125 plate amplifier - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st July 2014, 05:06 PM   #1
gorben is offline gorben  United States
diyAudio Member

Default PWR-ICE125 plate amplifier

Hello,

I recently join this forum because I decided to go back to the DIY audio. I used to do it ~20 years ago but on a different aspect.
I want to install a HT and cannot decide what kind of amplifier I should put on the sub. I am reading lots of things about class D (good or bad).
Initially my idea was to use a small setup to be able to use the HT quickly (before I have time to slowly upgrade). I will use 5 Hivi 3BN cubes for the speaker and one sub with a XO ~ 150 Hz.

For the sub, I would like it to be "final", meaning that this will likely be the only piece of my current setup that I will keep once my whole HT is complete. I am a lot more about sound quality and equilibrium rather than "boom boom". I was thinking of a Dayton RSS315HF subwoofer with a PWR-ICE125 plate amplifier. I liked the plate amplifier because of the built-in active XO and also because I was thinking to go all active XO in the future for my main speakers. Now, more I read this forum and online generally, more I found great designs using passive XO. I am not sure anymore if I want all active.

Anyway, my questions are :

1/ Is there a better design for a sub (quality and small size)?
2/ How is the PWR-ICE125 plate amplifier? Is it worth the price or would a 1x600W TAS5630 Class-D Amplifier Board would be as good?
3/ Do I need a XO on the sub or does the AV receiver will do that? I think it does, but I want to make sure.

Thanks!
Old 21st July 2014, 09:10 PM   #2
sine143 is offline sine143  United States
diyAudio Member

Personally, I would go for a non plate amp. in that price bracket the Behringer Inuke DSP is a great option for a single subwoofer (600w bridged into 8 ohms), and comes will full dsp (Hipass, Lowpass, PEQ, Dynamic EQ, Limiter, the works).

that dayton would work well tuned around 25hz to 30hz ported.
Old 21st July 2014, 10:49 PM   #3
gorben is offline gorben  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I did not know the Behringer Inuke. Why do you prefer that instead of the plate amp? Sound quality or for the evolution possibilities?
Old 22nd July 2014, 12:57 AM   #4
sine143 is offline sine143  United States
diyAudio Member

dont have to cut a hole in your cab to install it, dont have to build a seperate wooden case for it if you DONT install it in the cab, and you can plug it in more places to avoid a ground loop hum.

only downside.... fans are kind of loud. Its super small and light though.

Hide this!Advertise here!