STK4392 + 8" Sub + T Line Box = Worthy? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st July 2014, 10:08 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question STK4392 + 8" Sub + T Line Box = Worthy?

Hi. I have an STK4392 amp (1 ch. used) & a "semi-poor" 8 in. sub as it has been my former DIY project. The sub was rocking in a 10 liter sealed box n' the resonance was just killing me. It was around 150Hz. You better know how ear- tearing it is. Now I wanna stop suffering from the sound. I loved the STK. I liked the driver(I liked its Xmax. In free air it's around 2cm!).I decided to just redesign the box n' change it into a 60 lit. Trans. line enclosure.
TL specs: vol: 60lit.
length: more than 1.6 m
Taper ratio: 1.7:0.8 Sd
Terminus at the front
will stuff it with wool
My question is that, Is it worthy? will I ever hear a deep bass?
PS: I got the stuff. Enough 16 n' 32 mm MDF. the box design is available. The driver TS parameters not available.
Old 21st July 2014, 02:16 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
The heavier the material the better. HDF is good. Don't forget to wear breathing protection when cutting M/HDF as the dust is carsinogenic!
Old 21st July 2014, 11:20 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for reply JonSnell, I'll definitely do it; but I'm sure about my material. 1.2" MDF will never-ever shake. What I'm not sure about is the result. Will the TL box (+ STK, 8"sub ) give me the "Under 50Hz" I want? with the sealed I already have above that.
Old 22nd July 2014, 12:28 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4392Viper View Post
Will the TL box (+ STK, 8"sub ) give me the "Under 50Hz" I want?
TL boxes are usually tuned to 1/4 wavelength, a 1.6 m length is only 53 Hz, so probably won't give you much below with only 60L.

But only you can decide how much "Under 50Hz" you want, if you don't want much, it may be enough .
Old 22nd July 2014, 01:48 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
a 1.6 m length is only 53 Hz, so probably won't give you much below with only 60L
I'll use damping material, So -at least in theory- my 1/4 Wavelength will come down to less than 20Hz. And remember, I'm using STK4392 which means Idon't have much power. I don't think my amp can bring a huge box to its edges. bigger than 60L will be waste of material. won't it?

Quote:
But only you can decide how much "Under 50Hz" you want
I just want a True, Natural bass. A Flat one so that I can enjoy what I'm listening. I don't want a loud, resonated one. Not at all. Don't wanna use it in parties or something.
Old 22nd July 2014, 07:18 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'll use damping material, So -at least in theory- my 1/4 Wavelength will come down to less than 20Hz. And remember, I'm using STK4392 which means Idon't have much power. I don't think my amp can bring a huge box to its edges. bigger than 60L will be waste of material. won't it?
Damping material used to lower the frequency response is simply throwing away the upper response, the low response is no louder.

A larger box is more efficient, requiring less power for a given output.

At any rate, if you don't want loud low frequency, you are on the right track .
Old 23rd July 2014, 07:53 AM   #7
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The driver TS parameters not available.
Do you know anything about the driver other than its an 8"?

GM
Old 23rd July 2014, 10:06 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Flat response is my first priority, but I like it to be efficient, too.
It seems that I have to change the box into a bigger one...
If so, what size would've you preferred if it was you workink with limited material? Ithink I can Do with a 100L and a few rubber bands. Is it good enough? NO change in tunnel length!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Do you know anything about the driver other than its an 8"?

GM
No man, I bought it for only $20! I can upload its photo if anything other than diameter is seen in it.
Again, thanks for helping.
Old 23rd July 2014, 11:37 AM   #9
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

It would be worth putting a photo up. It could be a PA style driver with resonance at 55Hz or something, in which case you will never get low bass out of it.
Old 24th July 2014, 08:45 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
Damping material used to lower the frequency response is simply throwing away the upper response, the low response is no louder.

A larger box is more efficient, requiring less power for a given output.
So a change in box volume moves the Fs in the SPL map where stuffing flattens the SPL by cutting extra Fs amounts. Doesn't increasing the volume cause reverberation? I really hate the echo( I've heard it many times in untuned 4th order woofers- That's why I can't trust can't trust the bandpass and ported ones)

Driver specs( as far as I could discovered):
Peak power: 600W
Max power( I guess) : 200W @10Hz - 60W @100Hz - sucks @ 250-1kHz
response rolls off at 2kHz
Fs ( I guess): 35Hz
Impedance:4 Ohms
Overall diameter: 21cm
Voice coil diameter: 1.5"
Plastic diaphragm
Manufacturer: M- Power. Not the BMW's! Just a chinese piece of junk. I did searches on the net but I didn't find anything about the manufacturer.
I thinks it's kinda normal, but the driver loses its force at less than 35 Hz. You can kill its movement by putting the driver in any enclosure.

Another question, Doesn't the enclosure lose its "cylindrity" if I increase the width? Doesn't it increase the "port noise"? imagine a 6*45cm ( 2.4*18") port

How does Vas affect my design?

The last question: Why do some systems divide the box width in two using holed MDF?

Hide this!Advertise here!