soundqubed vs american bass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have 2400 watts rms available and a big trunk, I build my own boxes (very well I might add) and I can't decide between the soundqubed hds300 series 12's or the american bass xfl 12's Im going to be running 2, the price difference isn't much so I just want to know if anyone has experience with either of these, Would like to tune anywhere from 30-35hz, thanks

I haven’t done ‘extreme’ mobile audio since the early ‘70s, so not really qualified to say much other than the HDS300 is best overall in a nearly 3.2x larger box than the XFL and that from strictly a published specs POV the XFL has a superior sound quality potential due to its lower Qts; so lacking any more info I would choose XFL if for no other reason than its specs allows much more tuning potential for a given space.

Factor in its greater Xmax [19 mm Vs 14 mm] and near 3 dB greater efficiency, which equates to nearly 2x acoustical power superiority [~85.04 dB/W/m Vs ~82.26 dB/W/m] and it’s a ‘no-brainer’ choice for me based on my vehicle’s acoustics, the music I predominantly listen to and the very high sound quality [SQ] bass response I demand.

Unfortunately, published specs are often way off with mobile audio drivers, so none of the above may even be a remotely accurate assessment plus I’m not you or likely have your vehicle, so no clue which you might prefer overall.

GM

If you have not yet made up your mind, I would suggest using the American Bass driver. I have never heard any of the Soundcubed offerings, however about five years ago I listened to a friends American Bass dual XFL 12's in a large (relative to a midsized cars trunk) sealed enclosure. The sound was surprisingly clean and powerful even from outside the car. I think he was running only 1200 watts total but I could be wrong. I know he was also using a large storage capacitor, which may have improved the power dynamics of his system significantly given the small alternators in most cars. I personally like to model an enclosure that is not optimized for any extreme so that it can be used efficiently as either a sealed or ported. This approach allows you to easily tailor the tuning to your likings with plugs and stuffing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.