JBL 2245 H - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th July 2014, 03:54 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default JBL 2245 H

Hi I have a JBL 2245 H that I put into a 10 cubic foot box tuned to 30 cycles.I am using it with Klipsh LaScala bass bins for the lower octave. I want to know if this driver could work well in a folded horn enclosure? or is it the wrong woofer for that ? thank you ,Scott
Old 5th July 2014, 03:58 PM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Why not post the TS parameters and then any of the more knowledgeable members could quickly and easily answer your question without having to look up the information themselves.
Old 5th July 2014, 05:48 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottLowe View Post
Hi I have a JBL 2245 H that I put into a 10 cubic foot box tuned to 30 cycles.I am using it with Klipsh LaScala bass bins for the lower octave. I want to know if this driver could work well in a folded horn enclosure? or is it the wrong woofer for that ? thank you ,Scott
Not a good choice unless you are thinking about a folded horn that would make your 10 cubic foot box look like a breadbox by comparison. 10 cubes is at the small end of what you want for a driver with a VAS of 29 cubic feet (820 L).
Attached Images
File Type: png JBL 2245H.png (541.1 KB, 333 views)
Old 5th July 2014, 06:21 PM   #4
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Got that right, and considering the 2245's output capability, who needs horn loading with LaScalas? Might be nice to add a short horn to the cab to get a potentially better blend with them though.

GM
Old 5th July 2014, 06:22 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi ON the JBL 2245 H The TS Parameters are: fs 20 qts .27 qms 2.2 qes .27 vas 821.2 eff 2.1 pe 300 x max 9.65 re 5.8 le 1.4 sd 0.130 bl 21 mms 185 flux 1.22 Any idea if i could build a folded horn with this driver.I have the tools and experience to build it I just need a drawing. and as far as size i have enough room for a say 3'x2.5' x6' .I should be able to get some decent horn length with something of that size?Thanx Scott
Old 5th July 2014, 06:51 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottLowe View Post
I should be able to get some decent horn length with something of that size?
Scott,

Yes, it's possible to fold a very long horn in a cabinet with a gross volume of 43.5 cubic feet .

Art
Old 5th July 2014, 07:51 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

So how would i go about designing this. I have lots of 3/4" mdf and i can double and even triple the sheets to arrive at approx 1 1/2" or 2 1/4" thick walls and brace the heck out of it.My present enclosure sounds great with conventional speakers but seems a bit slow for the bass bin.Thank you for your experience and willingness to share same.Scott in beautiful Eugene ,Oregon
Old 5th July 2014, 08:23 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

The free software Hornresp can help you design enclosures that fit the speaker parameters:

Hornresp for Dum... hmm... Everyone - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Model your 10 cubic foot cabinet first so you can compare the response of the horn design to it, and see if it's worth the work for the output (and size) increase.

The path length will be longer than your top cabinet- if you don't delay the tops, the LF will lag at the crossover point, which will sound "slow".

As it stands, using a Klipsh LaScala with the 18" would require time alignment at the crossover (or overlap) region to sound "tight".
Old 5th July 2014, 09:11 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thank you so much weltersys I will look into this .Scott
Old 14th July 2014, 02:49 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi Scott

You’ve not specified exactly what you plan to use this driver for so I’ll just tell you of my experience where I’ve used the 2245 woofer in a 12cf ported enclosure tuned to 20 Hz.

It’s probably the best sounding woofer I’ve ever had, except that I wanted it for a subwoofer for my HT and that’s where I encountered its major weakness, its Xmax limit of inch (9.5 cm). And when they say 9.5cm they mean 9.5cm not 9.6 because this speaker very easily bottoms out mechanically producing a very laud and frightening whapping sound, in fact in my enclosure this driver can only handle 18 watts at 10Hz.

In a horn enclosure you’ll have to use a low cut filter not to allow any signals below 25 Hz other than that it should sound great.

The other problem with this driver is that the foam tends to rot after a few years so you should expect to have to re-foam it every now and then.

Regards

PJC

Hide this!Advertise here!