DIY Custom Ported Subwoofer: Dayton Audio RSS265HF-4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st July 2014, 10:15 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DIY Custom Ported Subwoofer: Dayton Audio RSS265HF-4

So I am about to start building my subwoofer cabinet for Dayton Audio RSS265HF-4 10" driver in a couple hours. But before I start cutting pieces I wanted to get your input. Maybe any suggestions or you spotted something wrong? I just want to make sure I am heading the right direction with this build. This will be my first DIY build.

So I am using this sub for both movies and music. My living room Is small.

Here is my Initial plan:
16.5"W x 21"H x 29.60"D using 3/4" wood. This gives me a total net volume of 4.14 cubic feet with bracings and slot port included.

The slot port:
2"H x 15"W x 32.93"D this will give me a tune at around 23hz with a port velocity at 12.8 m/s.

added a high pass filter at 22.8

feeding it 300watts using bash plate amp

Here are some graphs from Winisd using the design. Does everything seem to workout fine?

Click the image to open in full size.

SPL graph is hard to see where it tops out, but its reaches at around 108.xx db at 23.48hz+

Any input/tips appreciated.
Old 1st July 2014, 11:01 PM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Thread moved to the subwoofer forum where it will garner the desired attention.
Old 2nd July 2014, 10:21 PM   #3
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

Hmm, net volume [Vb] is the trapped air the driver ‘feels’, i.e. after the vent, bracing, driver bulk has been deducted, so assuming your cab dims are outside [o.d.] = ~4.75651 ft^3 gross Vb, then ~4.14 ft^3 i.d. is net Vb, i.e. without bracing and slot port included. This may seem like nitpicking, but percentage wise it’s enough to probably audibly change its performance depending on where it is in the room.

I assume you’re using a ~2x too large cab to keep the vent from being excessively long, hence the need for the relatively high frequency low corner filter.

Note that a shelf vent needs a two flanged ends ‘end correction’ [and then some], so your vent is too long and even then WinISD [BTW, use the Pro version] still calculates a too long one plus doesn’t factor in bend losses, though without figuring it out I’m not sure how far off tuning may actually be. I haven’t checked it, but knowing who did it, I’d trust this one the most, though it too is only for straight ducts: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...ection-rev.jpg

FWIW, summing the cab, vent net Vbs to ‘morph’ it into a TQWT [AKA ‘labyrinth’], i.e. an inverse tapered TL, has historically been the way to deal with excessively long vents.

Also, in small rooms, and especially when up against an exterior wall or in a corner, such a maximally flat response can sound quite ‘boomy’/’one note’ when movie LFE and/or music with < ~32 Hz content at any significant level is present, so the filter may need a higher corner frequency and/or a lower Q such as 0.5.

Then again, since this is your first DIY effort, the too low tuning will lower the speaker roll off slope, so combined with a basic high-pass filter it may work just fine without the extra effort and worst case is you have to stuff the cab and maybe even the vent some to mimic a TL to get the desired in room response. If this is required, you may can lower the HP corner frequency or even delete it if there’s enough room/boundary gain.

GM
Old 2nd July 2014, 11:38 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Hmm, net volume [Vb] is the trapped air the driver ‘feels’, i.e. after the vent, bracing, driver bulk has been deducted, so assuming your cab dims are outside [o.d.] = ~4.75651 ft^3 gross Vb, then ~4.14 ft^3 i.d. is net Vb, i.e. without bracing and slot port included.
IMO a 4 cu.ft. Vb for a vented alignment sounds way too big for a 10" driver. 12" driver perhaps, but not 10". If you're going to look at boxes that big for a 10", you should be looking at tapped-horns, transmission lines or other 1/4 wave resonator alignments.

For comparison purposes, my HT sub uses a 10" driver in a 2.5 cu.ft. vented enclosure, and gets down to 20 Hz just fine.
Old 3rd July 2014, 02:23 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Talking about the Vb (net) for this enclosure, following plans for a reflex and not counting with other designs already mentioned (sealed or TL), the 4ft³ is totally wrong (Fb tuning is about right@23Hz) for a (-3dB) extended extreme sub, 2.5ft³ (72L) is the max internal volume (net) for calculations for something similar.
Port velocity @12.8 m/s is very low, it can be higher e.g. 17/18 m/s.
Against (construction), port is very long almost 1 meter length.
All this considering only driver Dayton Audio RSS265HF-4 10" Reference and the conditions posted initially.
Old 3rd July 2014, 02:35 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Steele View Post
IMO a 4 cu.ft. Vb for a vented alignment sounds way too big for a 10" driver. 12" driver perhaps, but not 10". If you're going to look at boxes that big for a 10", you should be looking at tapped-horns, transmission lines or other 1/4 wave resonator alignments.

For comparison purposes, my HT sub uses a 10" driver in a 2.5 cu.ft. vented enclosure, and gets down to 20 Hz just fine.
Yeah, it does seem way to big for a 10" driver. Actually 2.5 cubic feet will fit nice in the living room, the only issue I am having is designing a port. Or finding just the right frequency to go well with movies and music?

Also I have been thinking about a sealed sub, seems way more simple to construct? How would a 10" inch sealed sub sound with a 300watt plate amp? would it sound nice and loud compared to a used sub given to me for free with 75watt amp & 8" driver?
Old 3rd July 2014, 03:19 AM   #7
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

In a small room go about 1 cuft sealed and well stuffed.

rgds, sreten.
Old 3rd July 2014, 06:13 AM   #8
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Just how small is 'small'? 1 ft^3 sealed is what I would put in the corner of a < ~64 ft^2 room.

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!