I'd like some pointer on an idea for a 12" sub - Morel or ScanSpeak

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
[...]
I may try to post a picture later.
I've managed to upload a pair of crude photo's of the subs. May try to make a few more, better pictures soon.
I really like how the flower accentuates the beauty of the grey paint ;-)

James.

Attachments

• IMG_0158.JPG
    IMG_0158.JPG
    554.8 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0160.JPG
    IMG_0160.JPG
    592.3 KB · Views: 131
To elaborate a little on the final design I settled with:

The idea of this design is to function as a true bass extension, so that the whole system works as a true three way. As a practical concideration, I wanted them to take up as little floor space as possible. So I designed them to be the stands for the monitors. This would mean a narrow foot, so I used so called "outriggers" with spikes as feet, to widen the base and provide more mechanical stability. They turned out a little high, so I've tilted the monitors forwards slightly. In hindsight, they could have been 10cm lower, or perhaps some 10 liter smaller.

Simulations predicted x-max at ca 20Hz @ ca 120W. I've only managed something of that magnitude once with a bass-heavy movie at silly SPL. With normal music material I have more power at hand than any one will ever care to use in a normal domestic setting. Bass is clean, tactile, agile, deep and has authority - all the way down to well below 18Hz. I'm very pleased with how this first build turned out. Only the paint job was a pain in the A$$ and could've been better. Hence the dull matt grey - it conceals surface imperfections and other cosmetic issues.

The mains' ports are plugged, they're crossed over at 80Hz. The subs cross over at 120Hz. The integration between them is phenomenal! For bass management I use an Emotiva UMC-200.

Very nice. Did you use linkwitz transform in the end? You mention to crossover frequencies, do these overlap?

To elaborate a little on the final design I settled with:

The idea of this design is to function as a true bass extension, so that the whole system works as a true three way. As a practical concideration, I wanted them to take up as little floor space as possible. So I designed them to be the stands for the monitors. This would mean a narrow foot, so I used so called "outriggers" with spikes as feet, to widen the base and provide more mechanical stability. They turned out a little high, so I've tilted the monitors forwards slightly. In hindsight, they could have been 10cm lower, or perhaps some 10 liter smaller.

Simulations predicted x-max at ca 20Hz @ ca 120W. I've only managed something of that magnitude once with a bass-heavy movie at silly SPL. With normal music material I have more power at hand than any one will ever care to use in a normal domestic setting. Bass is clean, tactile, agile, deep and has authority - all the way down to well below 18Hz. I'm very pleased with how this first build turned out. Only the paint job was a pain in the A$$ and could've been better. Hence the dull matt grey - it conceals surface imperfections and other cosmetic issues.

The mains' ports are plugged, they're crossed over at 80Hz. The subs cross over at 120Hz. The integration between them is phenomenal! For bass management I use an Emotiva UMC-200.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.