HT towers with 8" horns

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am new to this forum and am curious if this is even reasonble. What I am looking for is really clean punch around 40-45hz. The speakers can play flat to 100hz(3way est. 93db) not including the bass woofer and the cabinets can be pretty big(let's say up to 14"w x 72"h x 24"d). I would really like to use a rear loaded horn design if possible. My question is what type of horn would work best? And if a horn is the best way to go? I like the appearance of the scoop but sound quality is the most important.

Here is the woofer I was looking at using but am open to suggestions. Whatever will work best with around 100w-180w @ 8ohms
Peerless 830869 8" Nomex Cone HDS Woofer

Thanks! and if this is dumb please take it easy

GM

Joined 2003
Welcome!

Hmm, don’t know about ‘dumb’, to me this is someone who keeps asking the same or similar question.

For future reference, please provide any links to drivers/whatever to save us time……..

Just ‘running the numbers’ through a compression horn design routine, its published T/S specs dictate a very wide band-width [BW], ergo very long, slowly expanding horn, so ‘slicing’ a section out to meet the BW, space restrictions doesn’t make for a technically good back loaded [mid] woofer horn.

Really, considering you want < two octaves of BW, a simple floor loaded pipe horn makes more sense to me or possibly one of its tapped variants.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.