SS18 against ceiling question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need someone with more knowledge about sub coupling than I have to help me with a placement question. I'm trying to help a church add subs to their 400 seat auditorium. The below drawing shows what I intend to do. Two of Jbell's SS18's will fit perfectly against the ceiling on either side of the 1' by 5' wooden beam that runs the entire length of the room. It's 20 feet from the bottom of the beam to the floor and about 30 feet from the back wall of the stage. There is a small speaker cluster below the beam at this point. Will the subs couple effectively? There are no corners available in the room and all the walls have aisles at floor level.

Sorry about my poor sketchup drawing.

Thanks,
Steve

Attachments

• speakers.JPG
    speakers.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 200
its just an idee .
you got so much space,why not design something especial for that ceiling.
edit/
aha now its becomes clear.the orange thingys are the subs.
that wil work,mouth pointing away from "stage"
the subs wil bennefit from the ceiling

Last edited:
its just an idee .
you got so much space,why not design something especial for that ceiling.
edit/
aha now its becomes clear.the orange thingys are the subs.
that wil work,mouth pointing away from "stage"

Sorry my drawing is not very clear. Actually the SS18 at 19 inches wide is a perfect fit for the 19 inch wide joist that is connected to the monster beam. With a light varnish it will disappear against the ceiling.

Steve

I'd suggest something that digs quite a bit deeper for pipe organ type stuff. Unless this is just for PA some music etc.

If you're limited on width I'd go with a long tapped pipe or something similar. Bjorno can chime in and help....

Totally different system. This is just an add on to a church's music system. The church with the pipe organ system is on hold for the moment. That's why I started a new thread.

I just need to know if the subs will couple at all with that big beam between them.

Steve

My review of using SS18s

After building and using Jbell's SS18s with the Dayton 18", I wanted to do a short followup. The described location turned out better than anticipated. There was actually a small attic in back of the wall so the subs are hidden and the only thing seen are two white grills. After mixing on them for a couple months I'm in love with the tapped horn sound. They are more than adequate for the 400 seat auditorium at the levels we use. The low end is tight with none of the "mushy" BR sound. I have them high passed at 30Hz and crossover at 80Hz. They could go higher but in this system sound best crossed at 80Hz. Since these were hidden I built them out of MDF with extra bracing. The build is stupidly easy and they literally cost less than $100 each.

I would like to thank James Bell for a wonderful design and for his willingness to share.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.