Dual subs, small volume, big space, high WAF - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st May 2014, 05:59 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Dual subs, small volume, big space, high WAF

Can I have my cake, icing and eat it all, please?

Finished my arrays and for a (very) short time, considered adding 2 arrays of small 3" subs... then the prospect of cutting all those holes sank in again!

I have a pretty big room to fill. I like tight, punchy bass I can feel, something that a single 12" sub can't do at the moment. It gives some hints towards what is there on the soundtrack or music sheet, but it can't cope with the sheer size of the room by itself.

So, music is not too bad, but HT is a bit weak there.

I have limitations, of course. Cabinet size would be about 30cm wide, 100cm tall and 35cm deep (that's about 12" x 39" x 14").

That leaves me with 8" or 10" drivers as I would need them front firing.

Reading about isobaric subs at the moment, and I like the idea since it would keep things smaller.

Or, I could go with dual front firing woofers too.

I'm running in circles trying to come up with something, but nothing sticks. If someone has an idea you came across before, I'm opened to suggestions!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg subs.jpg (22.7 KB, 793 views)
Old 21st May 2014, 06:19 AM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Hmm, [4] 8" = ~ [1] 15" and [2] 10" = ~ [1] 14", so [4] high power 8" such as the JBL GTO804D seems the way to go.

GM
Old 21st May 2014, 09:02 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

How big is the room, and what's the subwoofer that's struggling at the minute?
Old 21st May 2014, 03:47 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Room is 10m x 5m, and has a 3m high ceiling. (33' x 16', 10' ceiling).

I have a Yamaha 12" sub at the moment. I made another 12" DIY sub, but it is too bulky for the configuration of the living room now. It's in the "projects" museum now....

Can't seem to find JBLs around here. Any newer ones available are from personal imports. I would need to import from the US, it seems. Unless I find a suitable replacement.
Old 21st May 2014, 04:05 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Well, at least you have a good idea what its specs need to be.

GM
Old 21st May 2014, 05:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Scouting everything available at the moment... found the ScanSpeak 22W/8851, but at $400 each... that'd be quite expensive for 8 drivers!

The Scanspeak 22W/4534 is more reasonable at $80 each, but VAS is much higher than the JBL mentioned.

It's quite hard because this picture shows what kind of info is available most of the times!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11081207031172_440.jpg (72.3 KB, 730 views)
Old 21st May 2014, 10:58 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

An MCM 55-2421 requires just over 0.5 cu ft for a 40 Hz tune. That box size will just about enclose 3 cubic feet. That means you can use around 6 woofers. Push pull if you can, and space them out to reduce any standing waves from the 1m dimension, or you may wish to compartmentalise the inside.
You can tune lower if you wish with less woofers.
Corner load the thing if you can and it should take 700 watts and produce plenty of output!
I'm not familiar with drivers in your area. Seems like the USA has all the fun....
Old 22nd May 2014, 02:40 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Dang! I don't know why I keep forgetting about this super bang/buck driver. Even with overseas freight it can't cost a lot, especially if ordered in bulk.

GM
Old 22nd May 2014, 05:17 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Went over MCM, they have a lot of drivers that looks like they were made here. I like that little woofer. looks like fun.

Unfortunately, that 55-2421 is nowhere to be found here. I asked some distributors, waiting on their answer. Shipping drivers overseas is quite expensive. I tried. Basically, a $50 driver costs $50 to ship. Then add customs... One of the little problems from living way over here in Asia!

You would use 3 drivers x2 in a push-pull config? Isobaric?
Old 22nd May 2014, 03:23 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perceval View Post
Scouting everything available at the moment... found the ScanSpeak 22W/8851, but at $400 each... that'd be quite expensive for 8 drivers! Shipping drivers overseas is quite expensive.

Basically, a $50 driver costs $50 to ship. Then add customs... One of the little problems from living way over here in Asia!
Quote:
Originally Posted by perceval View Post
It's quite hard because this picture shows what kind of info is available most of the times!
Yikes! Oh well...........

Bummer! Good luck with it! All things considered, it seems hard to believe that your area of the world would be so poorly documented.

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!