my EZ sub stands - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th May 2014, 01:35 AM   #1
SS4927 is offline SS4927  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default my EZ sub stands

Bass typically sounds best to me when the subs are close to the ground on a sub dude or something similar. But since not all rooms like to cooperate making modes trickier to tame Im using something higher in this case. I found that raising subs merely a couple of inches away from the floor can greatly open up tuning options and help get you better sounding bass slam where you do most of your listening. In my case I got the best results with them elevated 15 inches. I went through a bunch of tubes experimenting with different heights, but I get them for free at work so its all good.

I made a few prototypes with double and then quadruple 4 inch pillars but much preferred the substantial look of single 7.50s as it really helps tie them in with my m&k subs that have 8 inch drivers.

Most of you have probably seen the threaded rod and tube diy speaker stands and maybe even made some. Thats where Im going with these, there so simple to make and look good. They also give you the option of sand filling which I plan to do with mine.

Basses will be of .75 baltic birch and the pedestals 1 and 1 eighth inch (sorry busted keyboard) ash. Again aiming for a chunky monolithic look.

Not only can stands manipulate modes they can also effectively decouple your subs from the floor. In my case I got some pretty cool stuff to help further with that, but more about it later.

On to step two, cut to length and laid down five or six thin coats of primer with adequate dry time in between. I will knock down the paper fur with 0000 steel wool. It tends to come off easier after the primer sets up they become brittle and cut away easier. This should give me a nice consistent surface after hitting them with some matte black crinkle. The paint Ill be using is made by tremclad. Its intended purpose is rust protection on steel but I find it one of the best paints to use on wood and wood composites.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20140509-00473.jpg (467.8 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20140509-00467.jpg (571.3 KB, 267 views)
Old 11th May 2014, 07:01 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I know my thread isnt as entertaining to you as it is to me but Im having some fun with this

As with any drool worthy finish preparation is of the utmost importance. I knocked off all of the fur balls with the steel wool but something else requires my time, will paint next time. Laying down the black is going to be a real tasty treat. My good friend is going to be water jetting me some stainless steel symbols I drew up they will be finished in brush and go on the column fronts. They will contrast very well with the matte. Low pro is the delicious look im after here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20140511-00478.jpg (774.8 KB, 237 views)
Old 11th May 2014, 09:50 PM   #3
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

GM
Old 11th May 2014, 10:27 PM   #4
puppet is offline puppet  United States
diyAudio Member

Are you concerned with moisture migration around the ends?
Old 12th May 2014, 12:18 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppet View Post
Are you concerned with moisture migration around the ends?
If you want to go an extra measure you could seal the paper with some type of glue mixture. I got a bag of play sand at home depot I will bake it that kills any potential living organisms and further dries it. And line the tube with sealed 1 mil plastic.
Old 12th May 2014, 04:23 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I might use this piece of heavy old growth for the bases instead, and spike them. I have some heavy gauge metal pedestal tops I salvaged off other speaker stands. Luckily I dont throw anything out if I think I might have a use for it later . Originally I thought that base material was not quite deep enough, the depth fits the boxes perfectly. Then thought with sand spikes and a couple layers of quality sponge good chance they will absorb 100 percent of any immediate vibration and not let it enter the floor. Ill see if I can get away with that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20140512-00479.jpg (633.0 KB, 204 views)
Old 14th May 2014, 05:09 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Some extra large .75 x 2 inch shank blue steel hex, spikes will mount to these. Or I will turn them down to points on a lathe until borrowing shop time is possible. Initially I was just going to sponge the bases, the sponge is very effective. I guess it was too easy and I came up with more ideas as I went along.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20140513-00488.jpg (94.4 KB, 181 views)
Old 14th May 2014, 06:37 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

A second coat is required, this stuff takes a few days to set up its still tacky after a full day, and has some sheen left to it. So far its not looking as flat as I had expected.

Ive two ideas for attaching the spikes, on the angle or at a 90.

The bases and feet will be strong and substantial. I have some solid pieces of rectangular aluminum the hexes will bolt up to. After I get them mocked up I might use my polishing blocks to pretty them up a bit. I dont like too much bling on anything, a little in the right places does more for aesthetics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20140514-00493.jpg (542.7 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg feet.jpg (7.1 KB, 43 views)
Old 1st June 2014, 10:58 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I changed my plans a few times but now have some concrete ideas Im sticking with. I picked up some perfect red oak from my local rona since I dont have access to a jointer. I will laminate 2 together to make into rails and stain them a rich burgundy wine colour with low gloss clear over it. The hexes will bolt up to the ends. I do have access to a drill press so I will be counter sinking the hex heads. The jumbo machined spikes should look classy once there all mounted in place.

I applied a second coat on the tube columns yesterday. The paint appears flatter after the second coat, Im very happy with how it turned out.

And some 3.8 threaded rod with poly locks to hold everything together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20140601-00571.jpg (605.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20140601-00574.jpg (957.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20140601-00573.jpg (561.6 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by SS4927; 1st June 2014 at 11:01 PM.
Old 1st June 2014, 11:19 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Plans for square bases is out the window. Instead I will cut and round over small diameter circles with the 1.25 ash. The circle bases will bolt to the tube bottoms, the rails will be screwed and glued down to those in an X pattern. I decided that will look a lot better.

Hide this!Advertise here!