my EZ sub stands

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
They are starting to look like something, generally. The new bases add a few inches so the tubes have to be cut down. More steps to go. The rail pieces will require some table saw time and chisel, more ideas came to me. Angled ends and .25 notched out centers so tubes will set down inside like a craddle. I think the abrubt end of the tube looks funny and is lacking something, I think it will blend things together better. Excuse me when I dont know all the correct terms for everything. I build as I see different furniture I file ideas and add some of my own. Sometimes you dont realize mistakes until its too late, you see something you could have done better or differently. Its kinda fun to just build and dont plan every detail and create along the way. But it can easily shoot you in the foot

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 83
You will notice where I screwed up, it will take away from rigidity and isnt as nice cosmetic wise, not that you can see the joints when there upright. A couple dowels would srengthen them. Or perhaps glueing them down along with the 3 inch decking screws will be enough. Ill be doing the second one better.

Attachments

• IMG-20140620-00696.jpg
    IMG-20140620-00696.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG-20140620-00697.jpg
    IMG-20140620-00697.jpg
    682.1 KB · Views: 59
Most guys find there is less problem with floor reflections causing holes in the frequency response when the sub is floor mounted.

Some guys would find purchasing a milk crate to be a lot easier way to elevate their subs ;^).

Attachments

• Easier Sub Stand.png
    Easier Sub Stand.png
    429.7 KB · Views: 52
I have about 4 feet of air all around them right now, on top of my floor speakers and away from walls, that have the EXACT same dimentions and look like a matching set. sounds great NO reverberation to speak of, try it out. Problem with most subs is its not practical they are big and cumbersome. So you just have to go heavy duty. Milk crates would be ghetto fabulous and there stackable :p

Last edited:
I still have some shaping and finishing work to do. Yeah they are a lot of work, not as ez as it started, but I like doing it and like taking care of my stuff. The mistake on the base is bothering me a little even though they are plenty strong. I could easily cut more rails. The spongy foam does a exceptional job of dampening vibration, Ill try that on the bases before adding spikes. Maybe Ill leave well enough and put the hexes on the outriggers Ill be making. I did have the subs resting on it prior and Im confident the stuff works well. It feels to have just the right about of give and shock absorption yet not be too mushy, its feels soft like air resistance when you put your weight down on the stand.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    691.2 KB · Views: 34
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.