JBL4607 4507 port mod, w/wo 3015lf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, what is the max HxWxD o.d. dims you can can live with?

BTW, what are the Kappalite's specs? I just noticed I have several different sets and they're not close enough to just use the mean. The most conservative set dictates at least a 10 ft^3 cab to get down to 40 Hz.

GM

Hard to accurately say without actually packing the car. I could probably fit the
4607 type pair in there, probably not a pair of ss15, maybe a tham15 pair.
There's the fearfull cabs too but I don't expect a belly button thump out of em as I had a cab almost exactly like that and it had no "cahones".
The ss15 was my first choice,fyi. I'll probably use them with my Elec drums
as well when I play out as a drummer.
10 cu ft!!! Maybe I should just put a baffle in my hatchback and pull it inside the club :D

OK, so ~6.53 ft^3 gross or ~6 ft^3 net and if no actual measurements are made, then the design would have to be made based on a worst case set of specs and if a 30 Hz tuning is desired, then there's going to potentially be power handing issues since one set of specs has a 44 Hz Fs.

GM

Hi screamersusa,

Post #25: "...whip up a couple of tham 15..."

I looked at the 3015LF in the THAM15 a while ago. I would not recommend it. When you are going that small w/ the 3015LF it creates a nasty looking bottom peak, and will need a high pass filter around ~34Hz; after that the response will be down 10dB @ 40Hz. You should get better response and extension w/ your 4507s.

Regards

Attachments

• THAM15_3015LF_Input.jpg
    THAM15_3015LF_Input.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 97
  • THAM15_3015LF_SPL.jpg
    THAM15_3015LF_SPL.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 320
  • THAM15_3015LF_Displacement.jpg
    THAM15_3015LF_Displacement.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 101
Hi screamersusa,

That's why jbell designed the SS15 w/ 1/2 plywood.

What you might want to do is rescale the SS15 and the THAM15 to fit your 32Hx21Wx20D box dimension, and then see what the result looks like in Hornresp. A rescaled SS15 would probably have a very similar response to the original SS15, you would have to fiddle a little w/ the baffle board(s) to make the 3015LF fit because of the reduced depth.

A BR w/ your basic dimensions may still be your best bet.

Regards,

I looked at the 3015LF in the THAM15 a while ago. I would not recommend it.

I don't see it as an issue since there's considerable acoustic damping of this peak in high power apps, but blocking off S1 to 0.01 cm^2 and damping segment 3 with some polyfil apparently solves the problem good enough, at least for me:

GM

Attachments

• Eminence Kappalite 3015LF THAM TH - mod.gif
    Eminence Kappalite 3015LF THAM TH - mod.gif
    21.3 KB · Views: 85
TB46 If I toss two 4507 sized cabs together as rear loaded (speaker mounted inside, back removable), What would be the right size assuming I'd like to use either One rectangular port or a slot type on the bottom for ease of construction instead of 4 4in round? I figure you have the data already in whatever proggie you are using.
Would round ports around the woofer make that big a difference in a sub only application????

I'm thinking rear loaded so I can use a solid fabric grille.
Plan on going to HD for pre-cut wood mon or tues.

Probably worth noting how they will be set up.....
I have 4 pv15 modded... Normally I'll use 2 at full range, lows rolled off as needed.
These subs will ADD to what lows are already there so a BR box makes sense.
So I'm filling out the low end on the pv's not replacing it.
I may mod the mackie crossover in the 1400i to 65 and 80 rather than 65/125.

Hi screamersusa,

Can't say that I quite understand what exactly you are going to do. But I think you may be suggesting sticking two 4507 enclosures together to give you a big vented enclosure w/ a slot port?

I messed w/ the drawings, and have two examples, one w/ a normal port, and the other one w/ a larger port that takes up a lot more internal volume.

Hope this is what you are looking for. Put the Hornresp Input screens into Hornresp, and you can see all the details.

I won't be able to spend any more time on this, so I hope some of the other guys can help you out.

Regards,

Attachments

• Dual_4507_Single_3015LF.pdf
    35.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Dual_4507_Single_3015LF_small_port_Input.jpg
    Dual_4507_Single_3015LF_small_port_Input.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 85
  • Dual_4507_Single_3015LF_large_port_Input.jpg
    Dual_4507_Single_3015LF_large_port_Input.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 73
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.