Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

JBL4607 4507 port mod, w/wo 3015lf
JBL4607 4507 port mod, w/wo 3015lf
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th May 2014, 09:53 PM   #11
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Art,

The 4507/2225H is the attached file 1jbl4507.txt in Post #9; file 2jbl4507.txt is for the same box w/ the 3015LF.

Changing the ports to 4ea. 6"Dia. x 12" long gives a Helmholtz frequency of 39.14Hz (Loudspeaker Wizard). I'll attach the simulation for the bigger longer ports using the 3015LF (note: I took 5L off the Vrc (now 140L instead of 145L), and increased Eg to 48.0 (Dd=9.6118mm @ 57.25H).

Regards,

P.S.: I found a JBL tech document for the "4647A Low Frequency System", basically a 2226H w/ a 4507 box, you might look for that one for some published measurements.
Attached Files
File Type: txt 3jbl4507.txt (987 Bytes, 21 views)

Last edited by tb46; 8th May 2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old 8th May 2014, 10:40 PM   #12
screamersusa is offline screamersusa  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
Since you don't have a workshop or a van, how about a van, trailer and complete system including subs ?

Complete Line Array System for Sale

Hope business is looking up for you!

Art
Ahhh, great, but...... we're down to only one income right now....... thanks anyway
Old 8th May 2014, 10:41 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I'm dying with anticipation on the best port size.... thanks guys!!!
Old 8th May 2014, 11:58 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hi screamersusa,

Post #11: "...4ea. 6"Dia. x 12"long..."

That's a "typo" it should say: 4ea. 4"Dia. x 12"long, and that's basically what I would recommend for the 3015LF in that box, it should be an easy fix, now strange plumbing required.

I took the information from audiokarma and JBL and made you a quick drawing, hope your boxes are similarly sized.

Regards,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf JBL_4507_3015LF_Ports.pdf (34.2 KB, 29 views)
Old 9th May 2014, 02:39 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Thanks TB46
Im seriously considering just building two new cabs instead of another 4607. Might be easier than modding the original cab and might be able to adjust a little to fit in the Explorer sport.
Perhaps I could drop all 4 ports to the bottom?. Gonna have to put a grille on it and I hate blocking ports.
Old 9th May 2014, 03:07 AM   #16
Inductor is offline Inductor  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamersusa View Post
I'm dying with anticipation on the best port size.... thanks guys!!!
Look here,
You are asking for trouble.
If you look at my post your question was already answered (post#3).
Then, if you keep asking (more answers, it might help you or not, and it's fine with me) you will receive the same answers or... different ones that migh take you further away from the solution you need or not.
Let's analyze here the beautiful drawing that is linked in the previous post by tb46. It's fine but have in mind that it's a different alignment. (You don't mention what is the alignment you want, for the record) So because you are using it as a sub I gave you a low (30Hz) tuning.
The above tuning (by tb46) is about 41Hz with those (4x) 4" x 12" ports, if you want that, what you will get below in LF - you can simulate in any software available for free - will be:
F3 41 Hz
F6 35 Hz
F12 28 Hz
F24 20 Hz

Now let's check a different alignment, Eminence KappaLite3015LF with 30Hz tuning and better LF extension (from post#3:
(4x) 3" x 13.6" ports (one constraint is the internal dimensions of the speaker and ports have the JBLs original section/diameter)*
F3 47 Hz
F6 36 Hz
F12 23 Hz
F24 16 Hz

*Or something in between, we don't know.
Besides, you can also vary the tuning 40Hz, 35Hz, 32Hz or lower, there's not one unique solution.
You have to mention several things here.

Power:
http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Kappalite_3015LF.pdf
Driver is 450W (RMS)

Amp is:
Mackie - m1400
1400 watts @ 4 ohms bridged
1000 watts @ 8 ohms bridged

So the closer to 900W would be "1000 watts @ 8 ohms bridged", be careful.

Then, you can make a "new speaker" meaning by this cutting new ports or not. You have to pay attention to that fact, to place a 4" port in the place of a 3".
I would say that the higher tuning is the "boing, boing"- one note sub, but hey, I'm not the judge (it can also result better for parties and the lower tuning being too muffled. Also the lower tuning will relieve the sub of excursion to lower frequencies. Have in mind that the higher tuning (41Hz in this case) gives an excursion of 17mm@30Hz with 900W(RMS) or 78.52 V, close to disaster (look at the Xlim for this driver). You need to be more specific not just leaving the work of guessing for us. I guess there is already enough material for you to think about...
I'm not saying here that everything I'm saying it's right, but for you to pay attention to every little detail, after all, I may be missing something also but you have to understand that reverse engineering is not an easy task and you should be more tankful also and specially when you mention so many constraints.

ps: you are in the good track, helped here by various members. I'm out from this thread. Regards.
Old 9th May 2014, 03:09 AM   #17
Inductor is offline Inductor  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamersusa View Post
Thanks TB46
Im seriously considering just building two new cabs instead of another 4607. Might be easier than modding the original cab and might be able to adjust a little to fit in the Explorer sport.
Perhaps I could drop all 4 ports to the bottom?. Gonna have to put a grille on it and I hate blocking ports.
That's a better option. Driver needs a larger enclosure after all. Best.
Old 9th May 2014, 01:38 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inductor View Post
That's a better option. Driver needs a larger enclosure after all. Best.
Thanks inductor... If I could fit my Furysubs in the explorer....I'd simply use them as I have them
I'm basically looking to put low kick thump 40-70 under the peaveys for karaoke.
In a cab close to the peavey size that I cab build simply and dont have to time align. If I could I'd buy different drivers to build a hi/fi type karaoke sub I would.
If the wife needs to dj, we'll have to rent a trailer for the furysubs.
Cant sell the 3015lf, cant move the fury's, gotta move the 3015's for now into
something that will do the job. Not gonna run 900w at war volume for kj.
Old 9th May 2014, 02:23 PM   #19
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

OK, what is the max HxWxD o.d. dims you can can live with?

BTW, what are the Kappalite's specs? I just noticed I have several different sets and they're not close enough to just use the mean. The most conservative set dictates at least a 10 ft^3 cab to get down to 40 Hz.

GM

Last edited by GM; 9th May 2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old 9th May 2014, 03:06 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Hi Inductor,

In Post #6 you are saying: "...ports are over dimensioned..."

Using 2ea. 3"Dia. x 6.25" long ports: @ 40Hz the port velocity is 21m/sec, and @ 30Hz
36.5 m/sec. What do you consider appropriate port particle velocities for this sub, and PA use? This tuning also looses SPL @ Xmax versus the original tuning, and v. the 4ea. 4"Dia. x 12" long tuning. The 4ea. 4"Dia. x 12" long ports provide to me the clearly superior tuning for the 4507/3015LF combination. A single 8"x12" port would also be a possibility.

I'll attach the Hornresp export file.

Regards,
Attached Files
File Type: txt 4jbl4507.txt (974 Bytes, 4 views)

JBL4607 4507 port mod, w/wo 3015lfHide this!Advertise here!