Podium Pro

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for drivers to make a portable subwoofer, as light, small, and loud as possible on my budget. For a long time I was looking at horn loaded cabinets because neodymium speakers are so expensive, but looking at these Podium Pro speakers, suddenly much smaller bass reflex cabinets are back on the table. Does anyone have experience with their products? What can I expect from them? I will rarely be pushing them to the max amd I baby all of my equipment so they don't need to handle too much abuse. Unless their 9mm xmax is fudged by 4.5mm, the pair should produce more bass than an Eminence 3015LF (a top contender at the moment) for less money, and only about a pound heavier. Is there any more effective way to get (lightweight) bass for my buck that I should be looking into? How about car subwoofers? They are designed for tiny enclosures, further reducing weight.

As with most products you get what you pay for and cost often parallels quality.. up to a point. In the pro sound world Eminence is a budget brand, I have used plenty of cheaper drivers over the years and Eminence drivers were the first I found that could stand up to continuous hard use, everything else would work for a while and then quit suddenly. A subwoofer in particular has to be able to withstand lots of power and heavy heating cycles so it's something you really can't cheap out on if you want to have a reliable rig.

@ Contrasseur

Now i know which ones you're considering, it helps. I'd never heard of them before, so it's always nice to discover other vendors. Most of their drivers Qts are too high, & also their fs for lowish bass duties. Regarding fs, it depends on what you call a bass box. They don't "appear" to have a vented cooling hole on their backs ? But due to their limited power, that "might" not be an issue.

The PP15N would be ok as a bass box, from about 40Hz - 45Hz

PP103 & PP123 are also contenders.

Try & sim them post your results.

Regards

Well the Qts of the PP15N is lower than the 3015LF and its Fs is very close.

As for the Kappa Pro, it's too heavy. I'm exclusively looking for neodymium drivers. I even plan to use a fiberglass-foam sandwich enclosure because weight is a huge factor for me. I'm just looking for sub-$200ish drivers that can handle tapped horns or sub-$100ish drivers that I can put two into a BR box.

Does anyone know of a low-cost manufacturer that tends to make the occasional good product on accident?

Hi Contrasseur,

FYI:

b:)

Attachments

• PodiumPro_PP15N.JPG
    PodiumPro_PP15N.JPG
    442.4 KB · Views: 61
  • PodiumPro_PP15N_T-TQWT_T-QWP_TH.JPG
    PodiumPro_PP15N_T-TQWT_T-QWP_TH.JPG
    776.1 KB · Views: 59
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.