Shiva subwoofer vs Peerless XLS comparison

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All,

Has anyone done a comparison of these two sub drivers for the following (assuming a ported box):
- Sub 30Hz real world responses in a room 5m x 7m.
- Faster transient response (working with audiophile speakers which have fast bass down to 30Hz)
- Bass clarity & characteristics
- If all things being equal, which driver is better suited to a smaller enclosure?

I'm interested in the Eminence Lab 12 as an alternative, but there is very little written up about it.

Regards,
Dean

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
In this thread, I did a simulation of the Peerless 830500, Shiva and Lab 12. No room gain was included-don't think it would make a difference, comparison wise. I would suggest reading the entire diyAudio thread from page 2 on.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=9717&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

Also, later in the thread, there is a link to where one of the members, who workks for a place that sells the Lab12 and Peerless, does a subjective comparison of the three in a sealed 50 L box.

Here is that link to another forum:
http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?...wthread.php?s=&threadid=76045&highlight=shiva

- Shiva plays deeper and louder.
- There is no such thing as fast bass.
- It depends on the system design, both drivers are good.
- If small enclosure size is paramount, then you will no doubt require active equalization, which means either driver will do nicely.

I'm unfamiliar with the Lab 12, but do consider the Stryke Audio AV12 as an upgrade compared to the drivers mentioned thus far.

:)
Isaac

Thanks for the pointers guys.

The avforum post is interesting, the tests show the peerless with 6db less loss at 20Hz compared to Shiva/Lab 12 yet the bass was slow in comparison. I have also gleaned that the Peerless is better mated to a smaller box.

Would I be correct in assuming (and I know this is a bit of a stretch) that the Shiva would be better as a music sub, and the peerless as a HT sub? I want to make 4 subwoofers for my new home (2 x HT, 1 x living room, 1 x study) for AV use not music and there is no way that I can audition to compare, so I'm having to research based on others experience and tests.

Regarding fast bass, different drivers respond differently depending on cone material, suspension, type of box used etc, so its reasonable to expect the sonic signatures of the drivers to be affected by these parameters (another poster describes the Peerless as "woolly and slow" as an example).

Regards,
Dean

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.