12" TH for HT - Please Check my numbers!!! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2014, 11:26 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 12" TH for HT - Please Check my numbers!!!

I've never built a TH before but I came across the design about 6 months ago and thought I would give it a try. This will be for home theater use only so I'm not concerned with anything >80Hz. After some reading and thanks to the diyaudio forums I think I have a workable design in Hornresp. The driver is an Emenince Eminator 2512 12". I don't have one of these yet nor do I have the $$ to drop on several speakers and learn after testing that it's not suitable, so I used the published specs which are here:
Speaker Detail | Eminence Speaker

After some playing around I've got a response with what appears to be respectable low extension with good spl. I noticed that at the rated power I'll be dangerously close to the Xmax limit if not exceeding it. And this thing is looooong. L23 is 4 meters. But, if I can fold it once, I may be able to squeeze it between the floor joists in the basement a pipe the the good vibrations into the living room.

I've modeled about 6 drivers in hornresp and this is the first one that I was able to get something that looked decent. But before I start making saw dust (or fire wood) I would greatly appreciate ANY feed back or recommendations, and PLEASE double check my numbers. I've attached some screen shots too.

Thanks!!!
Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Input Variables.JPG (73.0 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg Displacement.JPG (52.2 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg Response.JPG (58.8 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg Schematic.JPG (50.2 KB, 94 views)
Old 21st March 2014, 11:31 PM   #2
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicDadof4 View Post
And this thing is looooong.
maybe your woofer has too high Fs (44hz)
Old 21st March 2014, 11:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I may be able to deal with the length, but will it 'work'??
Old 22nd March 2014, 03:15 AM   #4
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Sure! You need to convert to Par segments, then in the LW change the two 'manual' to 'auto' to see a bit more accurate sim though. Delete the data in 'Apt1', 'Lpt' as these have no function.

GM
Old 22nd March 2014, 03:33 AM   #5
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

6mm x-max for $95 is no deal.
Old 22nd March 2014, 12:17 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
maybe your woofer has too high Fs (44hz)
I thought a lower Fs was the ticket but when tried I could not get significant spl near 20Hz. I've made the changes suggested by GM and try some more.

Thanks!
Old 22nd March 2014, 12:21 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djk View Post
6mm x-max for $95 is no deal.
Not locked in to Eminence - have suggestion for others?? my kids always say I'm cheap. I prefer frugal...
Old 22nd March 2014, 02:57 PM   #8
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

……or best ‘bang’/‘buck’.

I don’t keep up with pricing, though IIRC, ‘Pat Bateman’ posted a best ‘bang’/‘buck’ [sub]woofer thread on this forum and there’s probably similar ones on HT forums around the net.

Regardless, now that you’ve opened this thread up, need to know more about the intended app and desired performance requirements and since it’s for HT, ~20 Hz is the normal lower limit for an 80 Hz XO point with a TH, so plan to use some form of EQ to protect it down low since movies today can have significant output down in the infrabass.

Any dimensional limitations?

Location in room?

Listening distance from this location to the mean seating position?

How loud on average, i.e. what is the audio system balanced/set to?

Intended max power available?

GM
Old 23rd March 2014, 01:20 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
....so plan to use some form of EQ to protect it down low since movies today can have significant output down in the infrabass.

Any dimensional limitations?

Location in room?

Listening distance from this location to the mean seating position?

How loud on average, i.e. what is the audio system balanced/set to?

Intended max power available?

GM
I have a 2 way line level XO thats 18db in the low pass and also a 24db high pass thats currently programmed at 15hz but I can change that to 20hz to protect the driver.

As far as dimensions, yes and no. If I install it under the floor I have (external) 20" x 14-1/2" x ~96". My sub now are two Audiobahn 10" in a vented enclousre with a Dayton 250wt plate amp (see pic). The 10's were left over from a system I pulled from a truck I sold a year ago. The mains are old school NHT towers, 2.something.... They are 3-ways but they only have 8" woofers and in our living room they just can't keep up. I just have an NAD preamp with a Carver THX 200wt/ch amp - stuff I got 20+ yrs ago when I was single and had money... My DVD player has pre-amp outs for all surroud channels including sub. The level is only set by ear.
The living room is about 31ft x 18ft with 9ft ceilings. TV on one end and fireplace on the other, both along the same wall and the opposing wall completly open on each end so it's very open. Where we sit is about 8ft from each main and the sub sits in a small corner to the back right also about 8ft away, about the middle of the wall. When looking at the TH I would like to confiure it vertically where the 10" are now an use the same 250wt plate amp. Shouldn't go much wider than about 18" if in the corner, but I could go deeper - like the sub is now.
As far as level/output, my wife says we have enough but the potential to have such capacity from a single 12" is crazy enough to pique my interest and want to build it anyway. I modeled my 10s (on another PC) and comparing the HT to it, I'll have about 6db more @ 10hz lower
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dual 10s Audiobahn.jpg (333.3 KB, 47 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!