All you with DIY subs - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th January 2004, 02:11 PM   #1
Howard is offline Howard  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default All you with DIY subs

What are you powering them with? (For those who aren't using plate amplifiers).

I'm using a basic old technics 100Watt integrated amp to power mine, and was wondering if I bought a slightly better second hand amp whether or not it'd make it sound any better? Is the quality of these amplifiers as necessary in bass-only applications, as with "full range" hifi?

Thanks for any input
Old 4th January 2004, 02:36 PM   #2
Vikash is offline Vikash  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
What are you powering them with?
I power my two 2 x 12 drivers with a TK Pro 150 PA.

Quote:
I'm using a basic old technics 100Watt integrated amp to power mine, and was wondering if I bought a slightly better second hand amp whether or not it'd make it sound any better?
A better amp could certainly exercise more control over your sub. I think a dedicated sub amp would be better than standard stereo amp. Check out BK Electronics: http://www.bkelec.com/DIY.htm
"The human mind is so constituted that it colours with its own previous conceptions any new notion that presents itself for acceptance." - J. Wilhelm. (But I still think mine sounds better than yours.)
Old 4th January 2004, 03:38 PM   #3
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

On a $/Watt basis, it's hard to beat an NAD amp from eBay. I'm currently using and older NAD 2600PE @ 150wpc that I picked up on eBay for <$200USD. It makes a pretty good sub amp, especially with the 3db of transient headroom.
Old 4th January 2004, 03:57 PM   #4
Ken L is offline Ken L  United States
diyAudio Member

Default I'm using a

Crown Com-tech 410 from E-bay for about $160.00 ( 205 watts per channel)- I'm thinking about picking up an 800

Like anything else, the more you spend - the more you get. Hard to say where the point of diminishing returns is for someone else.

An upgrade in SS amp would probably be a step in the right direction to upgrade your system.

However, to make the best use of the upgrade you'll have to use a good crossover that will probably cost you more than the amp.

Likely, it will never sound quite right till you get a good crossover dialed in.

regards

Ken L
Old 4th January 2004, 05:01 PM   #5
Zymrgy is offline Zymrgy  United States
diyAudio Member

I recently picked up an Adcom GFA-555 on e-bay for $300 US. Bridged into 4 ohm its rated at 850W. It replaced my old sub amp....it was a Denon, I forget the model, but it was bridgeable and the rating was somewhere around 120W. I was amazed at the difference. The sub is a 15" Kicker in a slot loaded box...the only thing I use it for is movies.
Old 4th January 2004, 05:15 PM   #6
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

One of the original Adcom 555s, modified for integration of an accelerometer signal.

What you need in this app is power, low source Z, and current delivery. Not to mention reliability and efficiency. The Adcom was a great amp.
Old 4th January 2004, 06:00 PM   #7
MCH is offline MCH
diyAudio Member

When I originally hooked up my Tempest I used an older JVC reciever that was rated at 120W RMS into 2 channels. For the hookup I used 2 channels (dual voice coil in Tempest). The response on the SPL meter was pretty flat down to 20hz in my setup. I don't have any frequency signals to use below 20hz for testing. I had to turn the volume to about 70 out of 90. Then I decided to get a sub plate amp from Adire. I combined the dual voice coils for a 4 ohm load to accomodate the plate amp. I definitely had more power but the frequency response wasn't as flat as with the other amp. There was about a 10db drop from 30hz to 20hz that didn't happen with the JVC amp. It may be that driving each voice coil independently is better than combining them for a 4ohm load.
I will eventually try to get another mono amp or 2 (like the Outlaw M200) or find a good used NAD 2200. My experience with my first plate amp wasn't very gratifying.
Old 4th January 2004, 06:38 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Pyle Pro PT-2800 1000W Stereo amp and a BFD powering a vented Tempest and a Shiva Tube in the HT.

Hide this!Advertise here!