Jaycar Response 8" Paper Cone.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Picked up one of these today just for something to do, I've had an old 150 watt enclosure amp that I picked up from Jaycar years and years ago, and I've had nothing to run it with for years. Decided just now to do something about it, and picked up the cheapest sub/woofer I could possibly find. I hope I can make something useful with this, it was a very spare of the moment decision. Had to do something to keep myself entertained, so this was it... :)

So far I'm still tossing up between ported and sealed, it appears the driver is suitable for both. I'm matching it with a sealed desktop two-way, so I might just keep it sealed for accuracy. If anyone has ever worked with this driver before, and can give me any ideas... I can't seem to find any reference to it within the forums, but it looks fine so far.

If it is the woofer in my link it has a very ragged/peaky top end and as stated by another member here
"It needs to be cut off at the knees with a steep filter- second order minimum"

So no higher than 300/400 and lower than that is better

Looking at the cone design i would agree on the 400hz cut off and they did not give xmax, important if using as a sub. Others in this price range , silver flute and MCM 8inch woofers .

Looking at the parameters listed (usually off when measured) a .8 -1 cu ft box vented would be my choice..

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-8-woofers/silver-flute-w20rc38-08-8-wool-cone/
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/MCM-AUDIO-SELECT-55-2421-/55-2421

I'm driving this with another Jaycar product, and old sub amp they sold years ago. The 150 watt model. It has all of it's own in built crossover inside that, it's one big sealed unit. It has all the switches on the back, 0 Phase 180, Crossover from 40hz - 160hz, Line In/Out, Hi Level In/Out. and Level, am I going to be cutting this driver off too low at 160 or so? I bought the wrong speaker didn't I. :(

Looking at the cone design i would agree on the 400hz cut off and they did not give xmax, important if using as a sub. Others in this price range , silver flute and MCM 8inch woofers .

Looking at the parameters listed (usually off when measured) a .8 -1 cu ft box vented would be my choice..

The Madisound Speaker Store
MCM Audio Select 8'' High Excursion Woofer - 120W RMS 4ohm | 55-2421 (552421) | MCM Audio Select

Hi,

FYI: Other uses for this Driver.

b:)

Attachments

• Response-CW2196-Subs.JPG
    Response-CW2196-Subs.JPG
    482.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Response-CW2196-8inch.JPG
    Response-CW2196-8inch.JPG
    442.8 KB · Views: 78
Nope 160 is going to be OK, even lower would be fine, but what are you crossing this to?
Most reasonable 2-Ways should be fine at that point or even lower

It's to match my main 2 ways, they're a sealed Vifa P17WJ-00-08 / Vifa XT25TG30-04 combo in about 12 litres. They're beautiful. Best speaker I've made so far... I'm just making a cheap sub to push them down slightly lower.

If all else fails, I'll make another one. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.