Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2014, 05:30 PM   #1
SS4927 is offline SS4927  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default i just need a simple plate amp

I went against better judgement and resaersch and ordered a plate amp because I need one, it doesn't pop during power on or off but it hums the entire time its on, at low volume its very evident. Im sending it back on monday. I would be willing to trade an sst for a hyper with dsp. I tried to buy one but it seems no vendors exist in my area.
Old 9th March 2014, 06:08 PM   #2
sine143 is online now sine143  United States
diyAudio Member

have you tried tracking down the source of the hum? particularly by plugging it in to different circuits.

increasing input gain, and reducing the input attenuators on the plate amp itself will help too.
Old 9th March 2014, 06:18 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Before sending it back, test the sub with a battery-powered source only, e.g. an MP3-player, smartphone or similar. If the hum goes away, the sub in not at fault. In that case you should check the cabling and wiring of your entire system.
- Disconnect aerial cables from tuners and TVs that connect to the stereo to break possible ground loops there.
- Disconnect PCs for the same reason.
- Connect only the main amp to the sub, with the a.m. source. If it hums, try to swap the mains polarity, i.e. turn the mains plug by 180 degrees, where possible.
- Then connect other sources one by one and repeat the process.
- If hum appears only when you plug the aerials in, you need TV ground loop isolators aka sheath current filters for the aerial cables.
- All aplliances should be connected to the same mains line. Don't use different wall outlets. Connect everything to one power strip.
Old 9th March 2014, 07:24 PM   #4
SS4927 is offline SS4927  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sine143 View Post
have you tried tracking down the source of the hum? particularly by plugging it in to different circuits.

increasing input gain, and reducing the input attenuators on the plate amp itself will help too.
Yes, i tried every available outlet on the lower level even one I had put in specific and half a dozen rca wires, with ground loop without i tired everything

Hide this!Advertise here!