Subwoofer plate amp high level output and sound quality - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th March 2014, 06:53 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Subwoofer plate amp high level output and sound quality

Hi everyone, on my line arrays I have a plate amp for each that powers two 8's per tower. I use speaker level connections to send them a signal (shared signal for the power amp for highs/mids).

Is there an optimal way to do this? I also have the option to use high level outputs on the plate amp but I am worried this will introduce unwanted impedance, noise, etc. I am not an EE so my understanding of plate amps is very limited. I can draw a diagram of what I am trying to do if that will help. Thanks!
Old 9th March 2014, 04:53 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The best way to send signal is trough XLR balanced cable/inputs to the amps (pro/amps and long distances like in studios and PA's).
Balanced audio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
XLR connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 9th March 2014, 07:48 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Let me rephrase this...my plate amp on my towers do not have XLR inputs. I do not have RCA preamp outputs to use from my receiver to send to it. So I am using the high level inputs. This gives me the option to feed the high level outputs to the inputs fr the mids/tweeters or split the high level signal between the plate amp and the mids/tweeters. My overall question is, will routing the high level signal through the plate amp compromise the sound quality for the mids/tweeters?
Old 9th March 2014, 09:06 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect7 View Post
Let me rephrase this...my plate amp on my towers do not have XLR inputs. I do not have RCA preamp outputs to use from my receiver to send to it. So I am using the high level inputs. This gives me the option to feed the high level outputs to the inputs fr the mids/tweeters or split the high level signal between the plate amp and the mids/tweeters. My overall question is, will routing the high level signal through the plate amp compromise the sound quality for the mids/tweeters?
As you have the hardware there already and there's only 2 possible configuration options, why not just try them both and see which you prefer?
Old 9th March 2014, 06:16 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I was hoping to know more about the science behind the options but looks I will be digging out my multimeter today
Old 9th March 2014, 06:33 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Not much science there.
If you use the preamp outputs, you skip one stage with many components, which is good (in theory). In practice not much of an issue.
The bigger issue in using the plate amp in parallel with the sats is that you cannot use the active crossover for the sats. That will make the integration between sub and sats difficult. A passive crossover for the sats will produce other issues.
The best solution for you will be to buy or make an XLR-out to RCA-in adapter.
Old 9th March 2014, 07:11 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Where will I get the XLR output? There is no XLR anywhere in my system...
Old 10th March 2014, 05:42 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Probably misunderstood your post #3. The first two sentences sounded as if.

Maybe you should post a pic or a drawing. If I understand your first post correctly, the plate amp has high-level inputs, which you connected in parallel to the sats. And it also has high-level outputs that make you wonder whether it is better to connect the sats there instead?
Old 10th March 2014, 05:45 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificblue View Post
If I understand your first post correctly, the plate amp has high-level inputs, which you connected in parallel to the sats. And it also has high-level outputs that make you wonder whether it is better to connect the sats there instead?
This is exactly correct.
Old 10th March 2014, 06:34 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Those high level outs may have a capacitor in series with the input, or not; your meter will tell you when you check continuity between high in and high out.

Hide this!Advertise here!