Question on a DIY Build Comparison - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd March 2014, 10:55 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Question on a DIY Build Comparison

Hi,

I have a DIY question. Was interested in a 12" quality subwoofer for a bedroom system. After reading several posts on many forums, it appears one way would be to buy a knockdown case kit and a subwoofer. Then i would need to add a amplifier and a few other things. Wiring, feet and acoustical stuffing. Additionally, would need to finish the exterior with an applied coating. By the time you add all the costs up it's around $500. Plus about 4 days to build it.

I then thought about another option: Parts express offers an entry level sub.

Dayton Audio SUB-1200 12" 120 Watt Powered Subwoofer | 300-629

The inexpensive paper cone driver could probably be sold for about $40. So it nets out with a built box, including 120 watt amp and exterior finished for around $60. Maybe a few dollars more. Then add a higher quality subwoofer to this waiting assembly. The difficult part is to match a subwoofer to the box design. Here is a list of the 12" Dayton subwoofers.

12" dayton subwoofers - Parts Express Ships Fast and Ships Free.

I do know the subs must be matched to the size and type of box. For my application 120 watts would be enough power to drive it.

One additional option would be wait for a Polk psw505 to go on special @ around $180

Thought this might be an interesting question to pose. Thank you for taking the time to read this question. Any responses would be appreciated.

Hide this!Advertise here!