Can i get some help please!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,I'm trying to get some parameters on my woofer and cabinet but every program i use,either something is missing or a its missing a spec.Drives me nuts!

12" WooferRSS315HFA
and my box is a 20" cube.What i want to know is if its a sealed box instead of a ported box what will happen?

Power Handling (RMS) 350 Watts Power Handling (max) 700 Watts Impedance 8 ohms Frequency Response 25 to 1,500 Hz Sensitivity 84.5 dB 1W/1m Voice Coil Diameter 2.5"
THIELE-SMALL PARAMETERS Resonant Frequency (Fs) 25 Hz DC Resistance (Re) 6.45 ohms Voice Coil Inductance (Le) 1.60 mH Mechanical Q (Qms) 2.94 Electromagnetic Q (Qes) 0.64 Total Q (Qts) 0.53 Compliance Equivalent Volume (Vas) 2.67 ft.³ Mechanical Compliance of Suspension (Cms) 0.21 mm/N BL Product (BL) 17.5 Tm Diaphragm Mass Inc. Airload (Mms) 195.2g Maximum Linear Excursion (Xmax) 14 mm Surface Area of Cone (Sd) 506.7 cm²
MATERIALS OF CONSTRUCTION Cone Material Aluminum Surround Material Rubber Voice Coil Wire Material Copper Voice Coil Former Aluminum Basket / Frame Material Steel Magnet Material Ferrite
MOUNTING INFORMATION Overall Outside Diameter 12.36" Baffle Cutout Diameter 11.10" Depth 5.75" # Mounting Holes 8
OPTIMUM CABINET SIZE * Sealed Volume 1.54 ft.³ Sealed F3 40 Hz Vented Volume 4.63 ft.³ Vented F3 20 Hz * Enclosure volume/F3s based on BassBox "optimum" calculations - thank you

Hi,

At a very basic level all you need is Fs, Qts and Vas
and plug those values into WinISD. Your box is
3 cuft if they are external, fine for sealed.

With a Qts of 0.53 you'll be fine with a
sealed and stuffed box ~ = to Vas.

You will be very near just under Qbox = 0.7 with Fbox just
under 1.4 x Fs and a -3dB point of about 1.4 x Fs. Optimum
stuffing can lower these numbers somewhat but not a lot.

rgds, sreten.

Sealed boxes are very forgiving, here 3cuft will be fine.

FYI:

b:)

Attachments

• Dayton_RSS315HFA-8.JPG
    Dayton_RSS315HFA-8.JPG
    885.9 KB · Views: 110
Hi,

At a very basic level all you need is Fs, Qts and Vas
and plug those values into WinISD. Your box is
3 cuft if they are external, fine for sealed.

With a Qts of 0.53 you'll be fine with a
sealed and stuffed box ~ = to Vas.

You will be very near just under Qbox = 0.7 with Fbox just
under 1.4 x Fs and a -3dB point of about 1.4 x Fs. Optimum
stuffing can lower these numbers somewhat but not a lot.

rgds, sreten.

Sealed boxes are very forgiving, here 3cuft will be fine.
The box can be changed at this point.What do you think the "optimum box size" would be for this driver for a , punchy sound?

Others feel free to chime in.I'm only able to do cubes and unable to convert vol to actual box sizes.

Last edited:
Hi,

Optimum box size is about 3 cuft sealed and well stuffed.

Internally that is 17"x17"x17" as a cube = ~ 5000 cu ins.
So you could have 12.5"x20"x20" or any 3 numbers
(e.g. 14x17x20) that multiply to ~ 5000 in inches.

The driver Q indicates the punchiest your going to get
is the above in any sensibly sized box related to Vas.

rgds, sreten.

GM

Joined 2003
One doesn’t normally think of > 0.4 Qts drivers as having a ‘punchy sound’ optimum alignment, at least not in a simple sealed or vented alignment, though one could EQ them to suit.

A 4th order band-pass [BP] or Karlson K15 cab would be more appropriate.

GM

One doesn’t normally think of > 0.4 Qts drivers as having a ‘punchy sound’ optimum alignment, at least not in a simple sealed or vented alignment, though one could EQ them to suit.

A 4th order band-pass [BP] or Karlson K15 cab would be more appropriate.

GM
I now have a friend who could help build a 4th order band-pass but i would need someone to design it:rolleyes: or if i can find a plan.

There is no way i can design a cab,i just don't have the experience.

Help is greatly appreciated.The wood i have is 15MM bamboo ply.It will be cut at a CNC cutter.

You're welcome! Hmm, one doesn’t normally think of a TL as having a ‘punchy sound’, but more a high SQ sound [extremely well damped], though one could EQ it to suit, so looking forward to how this works out for you.

What is its design details?

GM

You're welcome! Hmm, one doesn’t normally think of a TL as having a ‘punchy sound’, but more a high SQ sound [extremely well damped], though one could EQ it to suit, so looking forward to how this works out for you.

What is its design details?

GM
Hi again,basically the Tl is not happening now because the size of panels wouldn't fit into the sheets i bought

So i"m looking at a fourth order now,or going with the sealed box.I'm looking into designs now.

Do you think that this sub box would work with my sub?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QdAzM_c33U&feature=youtu.be

What do you think of a single band pass?

Thanks for the help GM!

Last edited:
Passive Radiator...... the vent needs to be so long to have a low power compression that it will have audible pipe organ harmonics 'singing' along to 'color' its response, so a large, high excursion 'driver' is required and ideally two should be used in a bipolar layout to ~cancel out their high excursion vibration modes.

GM

hey Down Under!

Reading what you posted, I don't think you should make a band pass. It will most likely sound boomy, as that is the nature of band pass.

Sealed is generally a safe bet, especially for higher Q drivers.

Ported can still work but you need a big cabinet tuned very low meaning big and long ports or a shelf port. without calculating, I don't think that really fits your 20" cube.

Dayton Audio RSS315HFA-8 12"

The 4th order bandpass will give you essentially more output in the sub LF <50Hz region (40Hz 30Hz and 20's Hz).
For that you will need to build an enclosure that will be V1 = 36.5 L and V2 = 24.5 L with a total (net) of 61 L + port dimensions.
61L = 2.15ft³

Attachments

• SUBS DAYTON RSS315HFA-8 is a 4th order bandpass.jpg
    SUBS DAYTON RSS315HFA-8 is a 4th order bandpass.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 31
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.