High quality small PR sub design?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I might be interested in building a small passive radiator design subwoofer.

The budget is $1000. The goal is to have the most 18Hz and above output in an enclosure size hopefully less than a 15'' cube. Deep bass output is more important than upper bass output

Are there any designs out there? I saw the 12'' Peerless XLS design, but I was hoping for a design revolving around a higher powered driver.

If not, any suggestions on the driver, amp, and other stuff in a DIY build?

Thanks

High quality, for home... ?
What "higher powered drivers" are you thinking of?! High powered or PA type drivers don't usually need PR (usually high sensitivity), unless you mean Car Audio drivers (low sensitivity) in small boxes, usually heavily equalized and in need of more power.
A list to compare the different parameters of the drivers.
http://www.tymphany.com/files/XLS-P830500 Rev1_0.pdf
Creative Sound - Product Details
TC Sounds LMS-R 12" DVC Subwoofer | 293-658
https://www.google.com/search?q=TC+...-15-lms-r-in-laminated-ply-enclosure;1066;800
http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Kappa_Pro_12A.pdf
Eminence Kappa Pro-12A 12" Cast Frame Driver | 290-424
TD Series TD12M, look also at the other models
AE Speakers --- Superb Quality, Unforgettable Performance, Definitely.
Eminence Lab 12C High Power 12" Subwoofer 4 Ohm | 290-668
This driver Eminence Lab 12C is (RMS) 500 Watts and TC Sounds LMS-R 12" is (RMS) 1000 Watts (4 ohms), do you need more? How much power do you need and why?

Hi Inductor,

Yes, this will be for home use. The 12'' LMS-R seems very good. Is there anything better?

I just want to build a small subwoofer with a ton of low end output down to about 18Hz. I don't mind paying for it. Right now I'm thinking of this as a cost no object project to achieve that.

Right now with my limited knowledge, I'm thinking of putting a LMS-R with dual 12'' VMP passive radiators tuned to 18Hz in a 15'' cube (or the smallest enclosure possible), and power it with something like a Behringer EP4000.

Is there anything I can change that'll get me higher output?

Hi Inductor,

Yes, this will be for home use. The 12'' LMS-R seems very good. Is there anything better?

I just want to build a small subwoofer with a ton of low end output down to about 18Hz. I don't mind paying for it. Right now I'm thinking of this as a cost no object project to achieve that.

Right now with my limited knowledge, I'm thinking of putting a LMS-R with dual 12'' VMP passive radiators tuned to 18Hz in a 15'' cube (or the smallest enclosure possible), and power it with something like a Behringer EP4000.

Is there anything I can change that'll get me higher output?
The small box size restriction limits how efficiently you can convert low frequency energy. If size were to increase this acoustic impedance decreases with size, moving toward LF horns being the greatest but monster sized. Given the restraints only additional power and subs would get you more. I do have to say if this is two subs I hope you have a big space and ample putty to fix cracks in the walls :)

I would use a similar amp for that driver because that driver needs a lot of power*.
Here in the pic below two different possible sub alignments, an extreme sub alignment (58L/driver) together with an ideal one above (38L/driver). :cool:
*) 6000W@4Ohm for a 38L, 4000W@4Ohm for the 58L, this for max excursion (this is not the manufacturer power Specifications)
Behringer: EUROPOWER EP4000
BEHRINGER: Power Amplifiers
LMS-R Driver | TC Sounds
Data-Bass

Attachments

• SUB TC SOUNDS LMS-R12 subwoofer.jpg
    SUB TC SOUNDS LMS-R12 subwoofer.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.